Author Topic: email error msg.  (Read 7013 times)

wildturkeyboy

email error msg.
« on: March 02, 2003, 09:22:27 AM »
Hello,

i am in need of some help, i have installed your virus scanner and i get this error when trying to receive emails. note: i have tried the exact email setup on another machine and it works fine, the problem started after install.

"The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'reallyextralong@optushouse.com.au', Server: 'mail', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10061, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E"

specs:
winxp on a P3 650 512sdram.

BTW uninstalling the scanner does not fix the problem.

thanks...

WT,

Offline vojtech

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
    • ALWIL Software
Re:email error msg.
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2003, 09:10:23 AM »
There is a server 'mail' in your account setting but it has to be 'localhost' or '127.0.0.1' if you want your mail to be scanned by avast. Did you use the Mail Protection Wizard ?

dirk

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2003, 09:19:19 PM »
In a normal Email client, you need two servers:

A POP3 Server:  This is the server you connect to when retrieving your Email (Sometimes referred to as inbound Email server).  This usually uses port 110 to facilitate it's connections.

and an SMTP server:  This is the server that processes your OUTBOUND (Or OUTGOING) Email.  This normally uses port 25.

When you use programs Like AVAST, they become 'middle man' in this operation.  So you need to point your normal Email client (The one you have been using all along) to your OWN machine instead of the normal servers you use.  See the following diagram:

[BEFORE AVAST EMAIL FILTERING (Standard Setup)]

Your Email Clinet ---> POP3 Server
Your Email Client ---> SMTP Server

[USING AVAST EMAIL FILTERING]

Your Email Client ---> AVAST ---> Your POP3 Account
Your Email Client ---> AVAST ---> Your SMTP Server

Just set your Inbound (POP3) Server to 127.0.0.1
and your SMTP Server to 127.0.0.1
after you install AVAST and you should be fine.  Make sure you are using the Email virus module (enabled).

It is much simpler to use their Email Wizard, but I thought an explanation would at least explain how AVAST! AntiVirus sits between you and your Email servers to provide protection.

-Dirk

AckAck

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2003, 12:01:20 PM »
Before I comment on this thread, I would like to thank the creators of Avast for a great product and for making it free for those who cannot afford it.

With reference to the error message when downloading emails - I was having the same problem. I checked out the account configuration and realised that one of the settings gets "corrupted" sometimes. The POP and SMTP settings are always correct (127.0.0.1) but what changes is the account name:

Instead of being:

email#pop.isp.com

It sometimes changes to:

email#127.0.0.1

That's when the problem arises - and it happens all of a sudden, I check my email and everything is fine - 15 minutes later I check again and I get this error message, I the have to go into the account configuration to re-type the correct info to get it to work. I have Avast installed for about a week but the problem has only started today.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2003, 12:17:05 PM »
Oh, that leads me to an idea: haven't you checked the "Automatically protect all accounts that I create in the feature" box in the Mail Protection Wizard...? Such symptoms could be related to this feature...  :-\

If you have, please rerun the wizard (without checking this box) and let us see if it helps...

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

AckAck

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2003, 12:19:47 PM »
I think you may be right - I reconfigured the email wizard yesterday, and checked the box - which I never did before. I will uncheck it and post back here.

AckAck

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2003, 04:12:34 PM »
I think it's safe to say that the corrupt configuration was caused by leaving the "Automatically protect all accounts that I create in the feature" box checked. I haven't had any problems after running the email wizard a second time with the box unchecked.

sal ado

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2003, 12:45:14 AM »
Had the same problem.
It was my firewall.
-Sal

Yinyang4evry1

Re: email error msg.
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2005, 10:18:04 PM »
i don't know if we're on the same page but usually it's the following combinations that lead to e-mail problems ( i understand that this thread is like a year ago ) :

1: incompatible antivirus and firewall (i.e. zonealarm and AVG antivirus [only once due to one of their updates])
2:two firewalls ( for some odd reason )
3: two antiviruses because if they both have e-mail scanning at the same time and conflict with each other.

cheers,

tim  8)