Author Topic: RC2 and Firefox 33  (Read 6391 times)

REDACTED

RC2 and Firefox 33
« on: October 15, 2014, 12:35:08 PM »
Just updated to RC2 and now having problems with firefox. Home page wont load properly then RC2 locks up and I have to do a reboot of windows ( win 7 pro 64bit). Disable avast and everything is back to normal. Didn't have this with  the beta or RC1.
Tried excluding my home page from the web scan but it made no difference. Removed Avast, cleaned out win reg and reinstalled RC2 - still the same problem. Changed the home page and that made no difference. So for me RC2 is a step backwards.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: RC2 and Firefox 33
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2014, 01:10:24 PM »
Did you use the uninstall tool and/or Rezjors tool when uninstalling avast?

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2014, 01:12:48 PM »
Be aware that my tool hasn't been updated yet and to be frank i don't think i'll be updating it. The latest official uninstall tools do a far better job than they used to.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2014, 01:57:33 PM »
Did you use the uninstall tool and/or Rezjors tool when uninstalling avast?

Thanks for the heads up on the uninstall tool, will give it a go and report back

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2014, 04:18:27 PM »
@    no1yak
I don't have home pages as such - I just have pinned pages that I don't close when I shut down - these pages load fine in firefox 33.0 with avast 2015 RC2.

I currently don't use the Avast Online Security addon in firefox - you could first try disabling that in firefox or uninstall it in avast and see if that makes any difference.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2014, 07:11:50 PM »
Be aware that my tool hasn't been updated yet and to be frank i don't think i'll be updating it. The latest official uninstall tools do a far better job than they used to.

Your last cleanup tool seems to work with v2015.  8)
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

REDACTED

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2014, 07:11:58 PM »
@    no1yak
I don't have home pages as such - I just have pinned pages that I don't close when I shut down - these pages load fine in firefox 33.0 with avast 2015 RC2.

I currently don't use the Avast Online Security addon in firefox - you could first try disabling that in firefox or uninstall it in avast and see if that makes any difference.

Did the avast clean , home page loads OK but now Netflix  shows an error message and won't run. Will try removing the firefox addon. If this doesn't work then I'm going to ask for a refund and move on to someone else.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2014, 08:49:10 PM »
What exact error message is NetFlix showing?

Don't run away for a problem or you will keep running your entire life.
Solve the problem.

REDACTED

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2014, 11:16:52 AM »
Update- Seems I found the problem, my firewall (Zone alarm) was the cause of the problem. Now gone back to Windows firewall and things are back to normal. Don't know why Zone alarm was the cause, had no alerts but something was amiss, either with ZA or Avast.

Thanks to all of you who responded.

Pete.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2014, 11:34:08 AM »

Your last cleanup tool seems to work with v2015.  8)

Well, it wasn't tested at all so i wouldn't recommend it. I mean, it will not clean any of the newly added stuff so any cleanup job will be a partial one. The official tool now does a fine job of cleaning remaining avast! stuff. The old one didn't, that's why i made the tool. It's better to use the latest official one though.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2014, 05:23:23 PM »
When I updated from beta 1 to beta 2 I used both the official one and your tool.
Your tool still found a few things but not that many. You are correct in that the
official avast uninstaller is much better than before.  8)
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.