Author Topic: avast! 4.6.191 Pro unable to check Gmail email in OE6 using Internet Mail module  (Read 3096 times)

martosurf

hello folks

i've been using avast! 4 for some time ago and, without doubt it's THE option when talking about antivirus software, and i know what i say.  ;D

but because life isn't easy i came with a problem i hope you can help me deal with.
days ago i created a gmail account to my mother's use and setupped it with the internet mail module but... since gmail don't use standard ports for POPping and SMTPing emails Outlook Express fails to download them when avast! check accounts when connected.  ???

so, do you know any workaround for this problem?? with all that worms being spammed every minute I will feel more relaxed if the incoming mail downloaded with OE6 can be scanned before mom click any message to read.

cheers 2 all and sorry for the tarzan-like english  ::) :P ;) :D

martosurf

WinXP Pro 2600 on P4 2.4 prescott w/512mb 80hd GForceMX5500 256mb on Asus P4VP-MX m/board
al-time resident software: avast!4 pro 4.6.191 - spybot sd resident - testing BlackIce 3.6.com and switching back to Windows Firewall since i'm on 56k -  GoBack 4.1 pro

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
GMail uses secured connections for POP3. Search forums for STunnel and OpenSSL. You'll find plenty of stuff to read ;)
You'll also find settings how to configure avast! with GMail to check emails.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

martosurf

thank you both very very much for your quick response, i have only one more question to do:

do avast! and ZoneAlarm work well together now or still exist the glitch between ZA and Web Protection?
i need to know because next month i'll be subscribing to an ADSL provider and think i'll need a more powerful firewall than that packed with Windows.

as said before tnx a lot for your kindness :-D

martin

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Many forum members use ZA Free and Pro with no problem, however there may be a little tweaking required. You don't say which you will use ZA free or pro?

This relates to ZA and Web Shield, lots of useful information there.
http://www.avast.com/eng/webshield_issues.html
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security