Author Topic: Windows 7 Devices and Printers Hangs when AVAST installed  (Read 4841 times)

REDACTED

Windows 7 Devices and Printers Hangs when AVAST installed
« on: October 15, 2014, 09:19:04 PM »
We are having trouble with the AVAST! endpoint and devices and printers on windows 7 clients.  The printers work fine, when I deploy the endpoint, attempts to print hang the system.  When I remove the endpoint things go back to normal.  Does anyone else have this issue or a solution to this problem?

REDACTED

Re: Windows 7 Devices and Printers Hangs when AVAST installed
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2014, 03:56:10 AM »
We are using windows 7 pro 64-bit.

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2014, 04:18:39 PM »
What components do you have running and check your settings on the deployment package. I assume its a setting that's causing the issue.

Are your printers networked?

We have Avast running on over 1400 machines running 64 bit Win 7 and have no problems printing over the network.

Offline /# Thomas #/

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2014, 06:37:40 PM »
Like the previous post, we are running Windows 7 on all of our client machines in the entire school, 2/3 of them now are 64bit, and we have not experienced this problem. We have both networked and local printers throughout the school. We also have in some instances a print service to manage various printers, and also networked copy machines.

Without knowing anything else or having come across this problem myself, it sounds like a policy configuration issue of some type.

/* Thomas */

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2014, 12:55:16 AM »
3064 Machines with the agent installed (adding more daily).  Mix of Windows 7 32bit/64bit and Windows XP. I have not run into any issues with printer locally OR over the network after the installations.

Are the printer issues occurring from all print jobs? Can you even send a print test page from the printer properties? Is this happening on EVERY windows 7 deployment? How many?

If we can get some more details maybe we can reproduce/solve the problem! Let us know.

REDACTED

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2015, 12:57:09 AM »
I know this is extremely old, but I have not had time to deal with this issue, so I am now picking it back up to get it sorted out.

The problem manifests when you click start->devices and printers.  It hangs the screen and explorer crashes.  Our deployment of Avast consists of: file system shield and web shield.

This crash occurs consistently when Avast is installed, and does not occur when the endpoint is absent. 

Our printers are all networked and are various HP and Toshiba models.

I am not sure what other settings could create this problem.

When the problem is present, you cannot access the devices and printers menu to get to the properties.  In some applications (such as MS Word) you can see the printers and select and printer with varying degrees of success.

We have the same problem if we deploy the endpoint from the server, or running the installer local.

We have looked at other issues that reportedly can create this issue, but the only consistent solution occurs when we remove the Avast Endpoint.

It is consistent on all deployments of windows 7 we currently run.  It is around 4000 machines.