Author Topic: Can I prevent Outlook/Exchange Provider from starting up?  (Read 5689 times)

drahnier

Can I prevent Outlook/Exchange Provider from starting up?
« on: April 11, 2003, 02:20:19 PM »
I have changed fron Noston AV to avast!4 home a few weeks ago and am generally very happy with it running on my XP Pro system.

One question, though: As I don't use Outlook or Exchange, I would like to configure avast!4 not to launch the Outlook/Exchange provider at startup. - Can this be done? Are there any benefits doing so?

n4cer

Re:Can I prevent Outlook/Exchange Provider from starting up?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2003, 02:47:08 AM »
I think the Outlook/Exchange provider is a part of Standard Shield itself. It shows up under the list of providers, but doesn't do anything unless Outlook is started up.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2003, 06:41:31 PM »
One question, though: As I don't use Outlook or Exchange, I would like to configure avast!4 not to launch the Outlook/Exchange provider at startup. - Can this be done? Are there any benefits doing so?

If I were you, I wouldn't worry about it... It's not taking any memory (unless you run Outlook), anyway, so there really should be no real reason to disable it...

Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

dillet

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2003, 12:52:16 PM »
Yes, it's very simple  ;D

1 - right click on Avast icon on taskbar and select "Start Avast! antivirus"
2 - if appears the simple user interface, right click on it and select "Switch to Enhanced User Interface"
3 - Now in the Folder structure on the left click on "Tasks" and on the right side, right click on "Resident Protection" and select "edit"
4 - Simply uncheck "Outlook/Exchange" form providers list and exit!

It's all folks!

Bye,
Mirko
ITALY

Amerk_5

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2003, 05:25:47 PM »
dillet,
That works fine if you're using the Pro version of avast because the Enhanced Use Interface is only available on the Pro version. It's not on the Home version.