Author Topic: Resident Protection  (Read 20368 times)

OldSalty

Resident Protection
« on: March 17, 2003, 04:01:41 AM »
I'm new with Avast!  I have it set up, but I can't seem to enable Resident  Protection. When I click on the Resident Scanner button nothing happens.  The status is still:  Resident Protection - Disabled.

Can anyone help?

Offline Roman Svihalek

• Avast team
  • I'm a llama!
Re:Resident Protection
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2003, 11:19:55 AM »
What icon is shown in your taskbar's tray? Is there avast! icon with stop sign?
If this is the case avast! main service did not start...

And, please tell us more about your operating system...

Thanks.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2003, 11:37:35 AM by Vlk »

OldSalty

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2003, 09:10:06 PM »
The icon in the taskbar tray is an 'S' followed by "Avast! Simple User Interface."

Len Duffy

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2003, 09:47:04 PM »
OldSalty,

what Roman meant was the notification area of the taskbar - i.e. the spot in the bottom right corner, near the clock. There should be a blue blue avast icon - is it there? Is it crossed?

BTW, what operating system do you have?

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

OldSalty

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2003, 10:42:47 PM »
No. There is no Avast! icon there.

Len Duffy

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2003, 09:29:26 AM »
What operating system do you use, please? :D

Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Amerk_5

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2003, 07:20:52 PM »
I have a similar problem. I have the blue avast icon by the clock and not crossed out, but Resident Protection shows up as disabled in the Simple User Interface. I also know that it IS working because it gave me a virus warning earlier today.

I'm running Win98SE, avast v4.0.183

Offline Roman Svihalek

• Avast team
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2003, 05:16:03 PM »
Please, check settings of Database key in data/avast4.ini. By default it should contain "ODBC" value. In this case there should be file avast4.mdb in Data subfolder. If not you probably have some problem with ODBC or MS Jet drivers for it.

If this is the case change value of mentioned key to "XML" and restart all parts of avast! (or reboot your computer to be sure). ODBC will not be used and your problem MAY BE solved...
Please, let me know...

Amerk_5

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2003, 08:22:16 PM »
In the avast4.ini I have Database=ODBC and the file avast4.mdb is in the Data folder. Should I still try changing ODBC to XML?

jlitex

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2003, 02:08:40 AM »
I have the same problem.  Also Win98SE.  I would like to add a comment that may be helpful.  After the original install of the previous version produced this problem, I performed the recommended MDAC and Jet update and the problem went away.  When this current version was released I updated and the problem came back.  As a curiosity, I performed the MDAC and Jet update again, thinking something may have been overwritten.  However, this time the problem did not go away and it still indicates "Disabled" when I open it.  At that point I tried changing to XML and there was no change, so I've changed back to ODBC and it remains "Disabled".  I have tested it on a regular basis and it is working.

Offline Roman Svihalek

• Avast team
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2003, 05:59:51 PM »
Try to change it to XML - you can revert it back to ODBC if it won't solve the problem...

Amerk_5

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2003, 05:33:29 AM »
 :D I just changed ODBC to XML, rebooted, changed the settings and now it says Resident Protection: Custom just like it should!

jlitex

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2003, 02:58:06 AM »
I have resolved the problem by installing Jet 4.0 Service Pack 6 (SP6) for Windows 95, Windows 98, and Windows NT 4.0.  This update has as a prerequisite  the Jet 4.0 Service Pack 3 Update.

The program now displays the correct resident protection status.

Amerk_5

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2003, 04:29:02 PM »
I just noticed that it kept reporting Resident Protection as disabled again.

After installing the Jet 4.0 SPs, changing XML back to ODBC in the avast4.ini & rebooting everything seems to be OK.

Here's the link for Jet 4.0 for anybody that needs it: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q282010

homey

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2003, 02:39:03 PM »
I thank you for the input on looking at the Jet4.0 version.  I am running Win98SE and looked like Avast! 4 Home just wasn't going to do it until I updated my MDAC and Jet4.0  I am including some links to directly download MDAC 2.7, Jet4.0 SP3 and Jet4.0 SP6.  I am even thinking about buying it even though it is being provided for free I am so impressed with it.
Download for MDAC 2.7 SP1
http://download.microsoft.com/download/3/b/f/3bf74b01-16ba-472d-9a8c-42b2b4fa0d76/mdac_typ.exe
Download page for Jet4.0 SP3  (Needs to be installed before SP6)
http://download.microsoft.com/download/dasdk/Install/40SP3/WIN98Me/EN-US/Jet40SP3_Comp.exe
Download for Jet4.0 SP6
http://download.microsoft.com/download/Jet40/SP/4.0.6226/W9XNT4/EN-US/Jet40SP6_9xNT.exe