Author Topic: [Explanation] Why old avast! versions are forcibly updated  (Read 32909 times)

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: [Explanation] Why old avast! versions are forcibly updated
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2014, 07:45:38 PM »
czf, even a 4 year old can do it.
wipe your tears and move on.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2014, 10:24:17 PM »
@ everybody complaining about software updates:
I can't believe why don't Avast give support to my 64 computer: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commodore_64
The best things in life are free.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2014, 10:27:01 PM »
@ everybody complaining about software updates:
I can't believe why don't Avast give support to my 64 computer: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commodore_64
And dont forget the very popular win 3.1x      ;D

Offline Staticguy

• Super Poster
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2014, 10:51:20 PM »
And don't forget all the classics songs back in the days one of them is this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4W_kWxWn-Zo

Enjoy  ;D

To the users who doesn't like Avast and it's forcing updates to avast! 2014. There's one simple solution move on and install a different antivirus such as Avira, MSE, and etc free antivirus. Just uninstall avast, run the avast uninstall utility (in safe mode), run Avast Cleanup Tool in safe mode (by Rejzors), install a different antivirus, and do a manual reboot. No one is forcing you to switch/to use avast. Simply blaming us (the avast users) and the Avast! Team is unnecessary and won't do much good. We (the avast users) doing our jobs to help other avast users so as the Avast! team (helping their customers and making their own product even more better and better protection). I have been using avast since version 7 on my old laptop windows vista (no problems at all) and got a new laptop Windows 7 SP1 ( only 1 year old) and I am still running Avast 2014, well guess what. "IT IS RUNNING A+".

Before using avast!7 I have been switching from one free/paid antivirus software to another such as Windows Live OneCare, MSE, Panda Cloud Free, Norton, McAfee, and Trend Micro. When I was told about avast! 7 by my younger brother and at present he is still using Avast! Free and it's the latest version of the 2014 product. Well guess what...his avast! free update configuration is set to "always update program automatically" and he ain't complaining at all or what so ever. I immediately switched to Avast! 7 since then till now I will always keep using Avast and I will always use the latest version of Avast! Free and I have "NEVER" regretted the switch. I am now an Avast customer for good  :), because of their excellent customer service and support and excellent product features and functionality, and all of these are for "FREE" :)
« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 10:39:15 PM by Staticguy »
DELL Inspiron 15" 7000 Gaming, Windows 10 Home Version 21H1 (OS Build 19043.1237), Trend Micro Maximum Security 2021 (17.0.1333), Avast SecureLine VPN (5.12.5655), Windows Firewall, Unchecky 1.2

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2014, 11:10:29 PM »
I have been patiently following this thread and I have a few observations...

1) Since v7.0 much of the protection in now cloud based. Which offers more protection without the bloat.
2) New technologies, evo-gen and with v2015 dyna-gen equals more protection.
3) Streaming updates.
4) HTTPS scanning (v2015) which v7, v8 and v2014 did not have.
5) NG technology for systems that has "hardware virtualization".

All this means is more and better protection than ever before. And it's still free of charge.
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

REDACTED

« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2014, 04:40:21 AM »
Just my opinion.

Even though Avast has the right to force the users to update to its latest version by locking up the users' system, but ethically this is not really a suitable way of promoting users to update to the latest version despite that Avast has its good intention at the first place to do so. However, it is not about the right that matters now but it is the ethic that matters now.  Avast should come out with an effective broadcasting message instead of  forcing the users to update its product. Besides, this is about the choice of the users and Avast actually doesn't have to interfere that much.

IMO, maybe Avast can have broadcasting notification just like the usual update notification that we get used to READ AND HEAR. I do think sound also plays an important role in broadcasting messages and I believe the message will be transmitted to the users' ears and lastly to their mind. For instance, Avast could notify the user like "Your Avast program is outdated. We recommend you to update to its latest version or continue using the outdated one with your own risk." (My English is not that proficient and I think Avast is able to come out with better message)At the moment, Avast can utilize its Avast sound system to read that message out loud just as usual and I believe users will get the message well. Couple times per week is enough as too many duplicated notifications will annoy the users.

It is just my opinion, no offense here.

Thanks and Regards.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 05:22:52 AM by yongsua »

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2014, 10:12:55 AM »
You're saying it like the avast!'s primary operation is to lock up the system. If it locks up system, does it matter when that happens? Either when it gets forcibly updated or when you'd update it. It would lock up just the same if there is some sort of issue. So, how does that somehow change anything? It just delays the inevitable if that was the case.

Doing the other part you suggested would just result in people complaining that avast! is nagging about this and that constantly and they'd just uninstall it. Or bitch about that here on forums instead of why they got forcibly updated. As a developer, you always have to treat target users as dumb in order to make things work right. Individuals are smart, masses are stupid. That's how it is, whether that offends you or not.

It's the sole reason why we have come from complicated antivirus solutions from almost 2 decades ago to a single click, do it all automatically solutions in current time. Which just proves my point.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

REDACTED

« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2014, 11:13:23 AM »

You're saying it like the avast!'s primary operation is to lock up the system.

Chill, man. I never really mean that. Maybe I am not good at expressing myself but pls do not perceive my message wrongly. I am just straight to the point since the contents in this topic is already well posted to the public to read.

If it locks up system, does it matter when that happens?

This is not the question that only for you and me but every single user, however for me it doesn't matter me much.

Either when it gets forcibly updated or when you'd update it. It would lock up just the same if there is some sort of issue. So, how does that somehow change anything? It just delays the inevitable if that was the case.

Yup, I agree with you but not every single user thinks like you and me.

Doing the other part you suggested would just result in people complaining that avast! is nagging about this and that constantly and they'd just uninstall it. Or bitch about that here on forums instead of why they got forcibly updated.

Or you have a better idea? I would like to hear that :)

As a developer, you always have to treat target users as dumb in order to make things work right. Individuals are smart, masses are stupid. That's how it is, whether that offends you or not.It's the sole reason why we have come from complicated antivirus solutions from almost 2 decades ago to a single click, do it all automatically solutions in current time. Which just proves my point.

Yup, I agree with you but things won't get any better if the masses start to perceive the forcing as something opposing or negative.

IMO, it is impossible to care every single feedback from every single user but what if majority of users are dissatisfied with this forcing method? Anyway, if majority of the users are okay with this forcing method, then there is no point for me to post at this topic anymore unless necessary because your first post is well written enough to try to persuade the minority.

Thanks for your reply, RejZoR. Have a nice day.  :)

Offline abruptum

• Massive Poster
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2014, 01:31:13 PM »
Although I am using the latest stable version I should say that those who are against forced
updates, in my opinion are leading 3 : 1 as guests and it is 89th minute of the game.
Their arguments are just better.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2014, 02:18:48 PM »
abrubtum, you are wrong.
It is more like 220.000.000 : 25 in favor of those who are for the forced update.
But from that 220.000.000 only a few are responding here, the rest doesn't mind and is not responding here.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2014, 02:21:11 PM »
Their arguments are better? They only have 1 argument, that avast! has no rights to do that. They haven't given me a single really good reason where i've described in quite detail how program versions are maintained. And that's how it is and will remain so, because it just makes sense. Like i said, if it was by me, all home editions would always be force updated. So every single user out there would have nothing but the very latest version.

Corporate versions are deployed differently and they require different policy. But for home, i'd do that.

REDACTED

« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2014, 03:40:17 PM »
Their arguments are better? They only have 1 argument, that avast! has no rights to do that. They haven't given me a single really good reason where i've described in quite detail how program versions are maintained. And that's how it is and will remain so, because it just makes sense. Like i said, if it was by me, all home editions would always be force updated. So every single user out there would have nothing but the very latest version.

Corporate versions are deployed differently and they require different policy. But for home, i'd do that.

They dont only have one argument, they have multiple arguments and I even gave you multiple in another thread.  You are choosing to ignore them and be blinded by your own obsession.

It's also not a matter of how many arguments they have but of the importance of the argument they have.  You have zero reason to fight this hard to keep avast updating someone else's property... they have every reason in the world to not want their systems locked up and to not want their setting choices overridden at avast's whim.  It's ridiculous you cant even compromise and say ok it would be a good idea if avast notified these people and gave them a choice.  Your only solution is do what you want, when you want, screw the consequences, there is no other way.

Your avatar says it all but that isnt how the rest of the world operates. 

REDACTED

« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2014, 03:45:41 PM »
To everyone complaining about users whining... they have a right to be here, they have a right to state their grievances and they have a right to be angry at an invasive policy causing lost time and resources.  If you dont like to hear them then you can leave just as well.

Things don't get fixed by sitting around doing a circle jerk all over each other or blowing smoke up each other all day.  They get fixed by pointing out flaws and if it just so happens to go against your POV it doesn't mean they are whining so grow up and accept that yes even the almighty avast can make mistakes and a sure sign of that is when multiple people are all saying the same thing... negative to you or not.

I personally would have never known about this issue unless people did come on here and complain because Im as up to date as anyone can be however it doesn't mean Im so blind by my own needs and wants that I cant empathize or understand someone else's issue.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 03:58:37 PM by dprout69 »

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2014, 04:06:50 PM »
Oh god, am i for some reason speakin (writing?) Chinese here?

You expect an old version to have exactly same design and support as the latest actual version. Sorry to burst your bubble, but things don't work that way. If you have the latest version and it doesn't work as it should, you have every right to complain and expect fixes. If you're using old outdated version, you are pretty much left at their mercy. If they decide to force upgrade you at some point, that's entirely THEIR choice and not your right of any sort.

One thing is terminating support and another forcing you to upgrade (for free!). If they'd just terminate support without any notification, that would be a problem, because you'd expect it to do it's job but it would just not update or do anything. Focing you to update simply does the opposite. Delivers a higher quality product with higher protection. But you won't care abiout this fact anyway and you'll just continue to complain about the same thing over and over despite countless facts and logical explanations.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2014, 04:13:19 PM »
they have a right to be angry at an invasive policy causing lost time and resources.
Lost time? They are wasting their time voluntary. It happened, it is done, stop whining and get over it. Lost resources? What resources are lost? No-one has lost resources.
Things don't get fixed by sitting around doing a circle jerk all over each other or blowing smoke up each other all day.
Agreed. So why are those whiners don't dry their tears and get over it? What is there to fix? Nothing went wrong.

RejZoR,
I can read what you type here. But I never realized I can read Chinese ;D