Author Topic: [Explanation] Why old avast! versions are forcibly updated  (Read 32905 times)

REDACTED

Re: [Explanation] Why old avast! versions are forcibly updated
« Reply #60 on: October 19, 2014, 08:46:56 PM »
put some thought into it...I'm sure they are up to the task.
I'm sure that's what they are doing. By now, I also think they've had more than
sufficient input to make an educated decision. :)

Yet no-one from Avast posts a definitive policy....just vague & pithy comments.
There are couple comments that say "we think", etc....but nothing concrete.
IMHO opinion a more serious matter than they truly have thought thru.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 08:50:44 PM by thekochs »

REDACTED

« Reply #61 on: October 19, 2014, 08:51:57 PM »
put some thought into it...I'm sure they are up to the task.
I'm sure that's what they are doing. By now, I also think they've had more than
sufficient input to make an educated decision. :)

Yet no-one from Avast posts a definitive policy....just vague & pithy comments.
There are couple comments that say "we think", etc....but nothing concrete.
IMHO opinion a more serious matter than they truly have thought thru.

I really wouldn't hold your breath on that one... they are really not too hands on with these forums.  Might come in and post a one liner and never follow up with it but I really have never seen them respond with anything tangible.. just my personal observations here for the last year

REDACTED

« Reply #62 on: October 19, 2014, 10:47:01 PM »
Instead of a surprise force fed version upgrade, a heads up / warning should have been gotten out that avast support for v7.x would end at so & so deadline.

A warning, regardless if anyone pays attention to it, would have been the ethical thing to do. However, as stated by Avast in the other thread, Avast has not stopped supporting v7. People who had v7 were migrated without permission to v9 only if their current install of v7 wasn't the last minor release. Evidently Avast continues to believe v7 is a viable product, otherwise all support for v7 would have been cut off and that currently has not happened. As I mentioned before, if Avast was going to forcibly migrate users, they could have mitigated the impact and achieved their goal of consolidation by upgrading users only to the last minor version of their current install.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #63 on: October 19, 2014, 10:52:00 PM »
Well, why not install avast! 4.8 while we're at it? Downgrade v7 to v4.8 just for the full measure... Coz keepin it old is apparently the right way to do security. Am i drunk or something?
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

REDACTED

« Reply #64 on: October 19, 2014, 11:18:27 PM »
Well, why not install avast! 4.8 while we're at it? Downgrade v7 to v4.8 just for the full measure... Coz keepin it old is apparently the right way to do security.

Why not indeed. If, I did what you suggested above, then I would be making the change. That means I had a choice. I made the decision. The forced migration was not my choice or decision. In a sense, you are agreeing with those of us in principal. We should have choice, we should make the decision.

Am i drunk or something?

Unless someone has forcibly upgraded your BAC. That is your choice, your decision. Which is the way it should be.

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #65 on: October 19, 2014, 11:36:28 PM »
A user has the decision to disable programs update unless avast! decides to do so.

avast! has complete control over their program and would have done it for their specific reasons.

On the other hand, you may be frustrated, though, you'd rather have a more recent release which is able to give you far better protection than the previous versions, rather to be infected.

On top of that, many other AV vendors don't support previous versions and stop providing database updates to them + support after a year of the new versions release.

The EULA clearly states:

3. Upgrades and Updates
Upgrades and updates of the Software shall be provided to you by AVAST as long as and to the extent
in which AVAST in its exclusive discretion makes such upgrades and updates available to the users of
the free version of the Software.

Link : http://files.avast.com/files/legal/eula-avast-free-2014.pdf

I'd pose the question:

Why are you against avast! being updated to the latest version for the best protection?
« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 11:38:59 PM by Alikhan »
Windows 10 Home 64-bit • Avast Free (latest stable version) •  Malwarebytes 4 Premium (On-Demand) • Windows Firewall Control • Google Chrome • LastPass • CCleaner • O&O ShutUp10 •

REDACTED

« Reply #66 on: October 19, 2014, 11:42:09 PM »
I'd pose the question:

Why are you against avast! being updated to the latest version for the best protection?

That's been answered many times in this thread and multiple others.

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #67 on: October 19, 2014, 11:45:23 PM »
I'd pose the question:

That's been answered many times in this thread and multiple others.

I've seen statements but no proof/evidence that the issues you are having are in the latest release version.

Have you personally tested the latest stable release or latest BETA to see if you have the same issues?
Have you reported the issues which are not fixed via support tickets?

I'm not saying that they are not any issues but rather wouldn't it be better to diagnose the issues with logs with the latest version and get the issues solved on the latest version?
« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 11:51:30 PM by Alikhan »
Windows 10 Home 64-bit • Avast Free (latest stable version) •  Malwarebytes 4 Premium (On-Demand) • Windows Firewall Control • Google Chrome • LastPass • CCleaner • O&O ShutUp10 •

REDACTED

« Reply #68 on: October 20, 2014, 01:22:47 AM »
@Alikhan,
Regarding your last sentence in your post #67:
Considering your possible misunderstanding of most of this thread, I'd like to know from you:
HOW to YOU manage to make an image/backup before a product upgrade without a notification that said upgrade will occur? What specific magical image backup product do you use that allows you to do this, obviously needed, activity?
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 01:24:37 AM by cooby »

REDACTED

« Reply #69 on: October 20, 2014, 01:56:30 AM »
I do read and try to understand all the opposing viewpoints and DO agree you should stay on top (timeline is subjective) of latest security. Also, my comments are not meant to be personal in any way and I do have high respect for the folks who spend their time on this Forum and help others........so please take what I've said and saying as good debate.
With that said..................  :)

A user has the decision to disable programs update unless avast! decides to do so.
So what good is my disabling if Avast just overrides ?

avast! has complete control over their program and would have done it for their specific reasons.
Yeah, the "reason" was to force people to new version by program update instead of just stop supporting old version.
The point of this whole argument is the "HOW" it is done....not the need to.

On the other hand, you may be frustrated, though, you'd rather have a more recent release which is able to give you far better protection than the previous versions, rather to be infected.
Once again, you miss the point of peoples argument/issue.....it is the "HOW" it is done....not the need to.

On top of that, many other AV vendors don't support previous versions and stop providing database updates to them + support after a year of the new versions release.
Awesome, you agree with us that this is the better method and that unlike previous post in this thread other A/V companies have figured out that this technically possible.  Great...thx for the validation of our point.

The EULA clearly states:
3. Upgrades and Updates
Upgrades and updates of the Software shall be provided to you by AVAST as long as and to the extent
in which AVAST in its exclusive discretion makes such upgrades and updates available to the users of
the free version of the Software.

Cool, I'm an attorney now and just love when people want to debate legal terminology....gets me all tingling inside.  :D
The UELA says "makes...available".....the user acceptance does not infer nor imply the user has given up their rights to control acceptance of these updates.....that is the "legal" point.  Avast people are very smart and I'm sure they have very good lawyers and they stayed away from asking for control of your PC....why ?.......they would open themselves up for liability.
Why do you think they give the Users a Custom install or have check boxes for the Chrome or Dropbox or install push software subsidy of the month ?.......because they know crossing the line of forced (un-authorized) installs opens up liability.  Is Avast scared of me suing them ?......of course not.....they are worried that this type intrusion can catch the eye of Microsoft.  I'm sure even Google "makes" Avast put the checkbox when they were pushing Chrome.  Point is Avast knows that line in the sand very well.  I personally think using the EMU for non-emergency updates crosses that line as well....grey area I'd admit since the EMU is only a vehicle for "updates"......guess the question is what you define as "emergency" which @bob1360 posed.  Not sure I'm qualified to answer that but I do know pushing a version update for support removal or marketing purposes is not it.

I'd pose the question: Why are you against avast! being updated to the latest version for the best protection?
Everyone has their reasons on why & when......I won't argue the virtues of V9 or previous or that V10 may even be better.
But yet again, I argue and if you truly read the other posts without emotion you will see that the concern is HOW Avast forces transition. My comments just center around this method has risks to its users and there are less intrusive ways to get the same thing done.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 02:32:26 AM by thekochs »

Offline Staticguy

• Super Poster
« Reply #70 on: October 20, 2014, 02:22:27 AM »
For the past many previous years I did not certainly hear/read users using a very very very old out-dated antivirus program and downgrading avast! 2014 to Avast! 4,5,6,7,8  :o. Truth be told and will always be true. Using the very latest avast! antivirus software is the best possible way to keep your computer infection free and following common sense on how to keep your computer safe from malware.

Since using avast!7 and now using the latest version of Avast! 2014. Avast! antivirus Free program has never ever ever never ever let me down in keeping my laptop safe and infection free and I have my 100% trust and confidence in them and I love them for it for all the hard work and an excellent business they are doing. I have no regrets at all for doing many switches of free/paid antivirus software and finally staying with avast forever.

Avast! Team and developers you have an awesome day every day and an awesome year ahead  :)
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 04:11:47 AM by Staticguy »
DELL Inspiron 15" 7000 Gaming, Windows 10 Home Version 21H1 (OS Build 19043.1237), Trend Micro Maximum Security 2021 (17.0.1333), Avast SecureLine VPN (5.12.5655), Windows Firewall, Unchecky 1.2

REDACTED

« Reply #71 on: October 20, 2014, 02:27:24 AM »
Using the very latest avast! antivirus software is the best possible way to keep your computer infection free and following common sense on how to keep your computer safe from malware.
Not going to argue your point but with a caveat...."once it is stable". The question is do YOU want to be in control of moving to the latest or have Avast take that decision out of your hands and overnight install the new version, reboot your machine and hope you had everything backed up and nothing goes wrong ?  My point is choosing Manual or Automatic is the decision you make to that very point and should be adhered to by Avast.

I also agree with your comments on Avast.....I was hoping my comments would be looked at more of "hey, you know these users have a point....maybe better way to handle this".........but it has started a firestorm of "upgrades should be done whether you like it or not and if you don't then you are clearly not smart enough to know so we'll do it anyway".  Wow !  :-[
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 02:36:53 AM by thekochs »

Offline Staticguy

• Super Poster
« Reply #72 on: October 20, 2014, 02:44:35 AM »
@thekochs: I will always do what is right for me and I will always agree for the job that avast! team is doing. Avast team is always doing the right thing in keeping their own software to become an effective and an awesome program every day,week,month, and year. I am doing my own job and avast doing their own job. I always follow the avast forum to find out if any new program update is coming soon and I make advance preparation when the final version is released. I always take control of my laptop to prepare to install the latest version of avast at all times doesn't matter if it's an minor update or major upgrade and I will always install the most updated program of avast. My update setting is always set to "ask when an update is available" and I don't set it to manual or automatic. When an minor update comes up I update via Avast GUI and when an major upgrade comes up I do a complete uninstallation of avast via add/remove, use it's avast uninstall utility, and do a clean install of the major upgrade.

Using an out-dated version of avast is a BIG "NO NO NO" and "completely out of the question" for me.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 03:55:17 AM by Staticguy »
DELL Inspiron 15" 7000 Gaming, Windows 10 Home Version 21H1 (OS Build 19043.1237), Trend Micro Maximum Security 2021 (17.0.1333), Avast SecureLine VPN (5.12.5655), Windows Firewall, Unchecky 1.2

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #73 on: October 20, 2014, 02:53:51 AM »
So the saga continues and the answer is still the same:
"Sounds like an argument that's never going to get settled to the satisfaction of all sides.Green becomes Blue and Black becomes white. Ultimately the answer will still be whatever the maker of the product thinks will be best for it's customers and in this case the safety of their computers.Write, wrong or, indifferent, no amount of argument or discussion by either or both sides will change that fact.   "
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #74 on: October 20, 2014, 07:41:34 AM »
Using the very latest avast! antivirus software is the best possible way to keep your computer infection free and following common sense on how to keep your computer safe from malware.
Not going to argue your point but with a caveat...."once it is stable". The question is do YOU want to be in control of moving to the latest or have Avast take that decision out of your hands and overnight install the new version, reboot your machine and hope you had everything backed up and nothing goes wrong ?  My point is choosing Manual or Automatic is the decision you make to that very point and should be adhered to by Avast.

I also agree with your comments on Avast.....I was hoping my comments would be looked at more of "hey, you know these users have a point....maybe better way to handle this".........but it has started a firestorm of "upgrades should be done whether you like it or not and if you don't then you are clearly not smart enough to know so we'll do it anyway".  Wow !  :-[

You need 3 years and 3 versions to go by until you are able to find out that 2 versions old one was stabilized? What!?

Besides, those update controls (Manual and/or Automatic) are for current version and are NOT absolute control for all versions back. Which means that you can freely control all updates within currently relevant version (lets say all v9 builds) so you can control if you want a newly released update to be installed now or maybe in next 2 months. But it doesn't give you absolute control for older versions that shouldn't really exist and be used anymore...
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog