Author Topic: client VPS update wonkeyness  (Read 2642 times)

Offline /# Thomas #/

client VPS update wonkeyness
« on: October 20, 2014, 07:39:56 PM »
The Avast clients do not seem to be updating VPS deffinitions in a reliable way. Clients will say they are updated, but list an old VPS version, days, weeks and months out of date. It gets to the point where MS Windows now alerts some users with the "AV out of date" errors.

When you manually check for updates, it says you are running the latest definition. It shows the server info, as if it connected properly. Forcing an update sometimes works, but not on all machines. The only fix seems to be to uninstall and reinstall, but even this seems to only be temporary.

Going to Control Panel > Programs > Change, running Update from there says current version, running Repair says "succesfully updated" but still reports the old VPS version.

I am wondering if we might have some configuration wrong. The firewall on the server is off for Domain traffic, of which all of these computers are talking on. Even the client on the host server does not update reliably. The clients say "connection established", last update received current date/time, however, the update file is not updating.

I am attaching several screen shots. Am I incorrectly expecting different behavior? I could understand if a client did not update within 24 hours, or possibly within several days, or maybe a week for a faculty laptop who may not be in the office, but a month or longer? These are desktop clients, and our current power policy is to have them running 24/7.

/* Thomas */

Offline /# Thomas #/

Re: client VPS update wonkeyness
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2014, 07:42:21 PM »
this is the client on the host server itself.

/* Thomas */

[edit] also attached example list of one group out of ~160 pcs currently installed
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 07:48:22 PM by /# Thomas #/ »