Author Topic: Laptop stops booting at aswrvrt.sys  (Read 2913 times)

REDACTED

Laptop stops booting at aswrvrt.sys
« on: October 17, 2014, 07:52:03 PM »
Hi essexboy,
I have an old IBM  R40 with XP SP3 installed. I had some blue screens in the past, but nothing special, as I guess. 2 days ago, I had a blue screen. Bellow are the steps that I followed
1) Run CHECKDSK from Windows. Scheduled for next boot. Re-boot.
2) Re-boot, checkdsk executed, but it cannot complete normal XP boot.
1) Re-Boot in safe mode (command prompt), found that boot stops at  agp440.sys
2) Tried to boot with WinXP CD and Repair installation. After rebooting, system made also a chckdsk. After finishing chkdsk, I had a blue screen telling that the system cannot finish the installation.
3) Re-boot with WinXP CD, enter the RECOVERY console, I made the following http://icrontic.com/article/repair_windows_xp
4) After reboot in safe mode, laptop stopped in aswrvrt.sys
5) Ran FRST. Attached is the FRST.TXT

PS Congrats for your great support in the community.

Sotiris SV1BDO

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
Re: Laptop stops booting at aswrvrt.sys
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2014, 08:47:00 PM »
I have deleted the extra posts :)

I notice there are no restore points so this may be problematical.  I will disable both Avast and ZoneAlarm from starting

Download the attached fixlist.txt to the same location as FRST
Run FRST and press Fix
On completion try a reboot

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2014, 12:13:58 AM »
Many thanks. Attached is the FIXLOG.TXT

After this, I reboot and prompt me to insert the WinXP SP2 installation CD.
The progressive bullets show that I am in PREPARING INSTALLATION step (remaining 37 min).
I guess that I have to reinstall Windows. I guess that I do not need to re-install again all software.
All my data are stored in seperate partition (D: data)

I will let you know later about the progress and the status.

PS the Restore points were disabled automatically from system when I was run out of disk space. I don't know if that was a true status or the HDD was full of "rubish" hidden files (Recycle bin is at the other partition)

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2014, 12:55:32 AM »
Hi sv1bdo and essexboy,

I remember before my laptop had to recover from start-up problems and only started in safe-mode because of an apparent software conflic, I experienced a bsod mem problem. Thinking the whole issue over I speculate about an avast driver conflict (end point detection).
Just sharing these thoughts as I know how difficult to tackle these issues may be. After a re-install of the avast program my problems seem solved.
Lots of success,

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2014, 10:17:45 AM »
Well, bellow are the detailed results

After running FRST with FIX, I reboot and it prompt me to insert the WinXP SP2 installation CD.
The progressive bullets show that I am in PREPARING INSTALLATION step (remaining 37 min).
I guess that I have to reinstall Windows. I guess that I do not need to re-install again all software.
All my data are stored in seperate partition (D: data)

After aprox 15-20 min, I saw my previous desktop.
An error message apperared (it was apperaring also before the problems) saying
Loading HlprHrnt.dll failed and then I got the blue screen

STOP: c0000021a (Fatal system error) The Windows subsystem system process terminated unexpectadly with a status of 0xc0000005 (0x7c9106c3 0x00c7ec24)
Begining dump of physical memory
Dumping physical memory to disk:
(counted up to 99) Dumping memory took abt 10-20 min.

Later, I boot in safe mode (with command prompt). During installation of drivers, system stucked for aprox 30sec to agp440.sys and then I got the black screen of safe mode, but without any desktop icons at all on it, just the SAFE MODE marks at the 4 corners. I tried to open one program using RUN funtion from task manager (using ALT+CTR+DEL). The program opened normally. I closed it by the normal way, and then restart the laptop (using the function in Task manager) to normal mode. I reboot again in Safe mode and finally I saw the desktop icons (in black font)

I had again the same error message saying failure of loading HlprHrnt.dll and after some seconds, I got the same blue screen.

I had the missing dll message also in the past, but I ignored it.

« Last Edit: October 18, 2014, 10:57:20 AM by sv1bdo »

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2014, 11:55:32 AM »
OK the error is caused by the Hornet monitoring system http://www.bvsystems.com/Products/WLAN/Hornet/hornet.htm
I know very little about this programme so a re-install would probably be your best option

REDACTED

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2014, 12:19:28 PM »
I think you are right, I had in the past also messages saying about failure to install Hornet Device Monitor etc, but I also ignored them. I haven't install by my own knowledge this type of software, so I guess maybe this is a part of another software, or maybe I installed by a trojan, malware  or similar software.

I will google to find the solution. Many thanks !!!

« Last Edit: October 18, 2014, 12:25:28 PM by sv1bdo »