Author Topic: Windows Updates Problems Anyone? (RESOLVED)  (Read 1541 times)

Offline Chim

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
Windows Updates Problems Anyone? (RESOLVED)
« on: October 17, 2014, 04:39:40 PM »
So yesterday I went to my sister's house and proceeded to attempt to use her computer.  Right off the bat I encountered one of those error pages indicating no Internet Access.  Yikes!  The first thing I thought was, "Oh Shoot!  I hope my sister's brother-in-law encountered that error page also and I don't get blamed for destroying their Internet connection."

After running the Internet connection diags from that page and getting no where, I restarted the computer and saw that it also went into installing awaiting Windows Updates.  Afterwards, Internet access was reestablished, but was noticeably slow ... about half the usual speed.

After downloading all of my Apps Updates, I ran a SAS Scan and it found 16 threats, mainly PUPs I think.  I got rid of them.  I then ran an MBAM Scan and it found 39 PUPs.  I had them all quarantined.  After the necessary Restart, I then suddenly had no Internet access.  ZOITS!

Then no matter what I tried, nothing worked ... Computer Restarts, Computer Power Down & Power Ups, Internet Diags and their Fix Attempts, Powering Down & Powering Up the Modem (Router), CCleaner cleanings.  Still no Internet access.

I was really worried that I was going to get blamed for screwing up their computer and / or their Internet connection.  My next plan was to perform a System Restore, but I couldn't figure out how to do it on Windows 8.1. 

So, seriously desperate and out of ideas, I actually restored the PUPs that MBAM had quarantined.  I then performed the necessary computer restart.  It went into a 2nd Windows Updates batch installation.  After that, lo & behold ... I had Internet access again.

So, the question is:  Could the initial loss of Internet access have been related to the Windows Updates?  Anyone else experience any loss of Internet access after the latest batch of Windows Updates?
« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 10:36:15 PM by Chim »
Dell Optiplex 780 / Core 2 Duo E8400 3.00 GHz / 4 Gig RAM / Windows XP Pro 32-Bit SP3 / Panda Dome  Free 18.07.00 / MBAM / SAS / NetZero Dial Up / Maxthon MX5 5.2.5.4000

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
Re: Windows Updates Problems Anyone?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2014, 04:54:25 PM »
No problems on my 8.1  but some adware does mess with the winsock if not uninstalled properly

Offline Chim

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2014, 05:18:24 PM »
On the one hand, to a certain extent it could almost look like something in the removal / quarantining of those 39 PUPs by MBAM could have messed up something that resulted in no Internet access.

However, in this case, remember ... there was already temporarily no Internet access from the word Go when I got there.  This was before I had done anything to the computer, before the SAS and MBAM Scans.  All I had done when I got there was Left Click to get video on the screen and there it was, that page of evidence of no Internet access.

Since my sister's brother-in-law (the main user of that computer) was not there at the time, I didn't know any info, any history of the sequence of events before they lost Internet access.

When my sister's brother-in-law eventually showed up when I had restored Internet access, he claimed that as far as he knew, the loss of Internet access happened after my sister or my niece had disconnected the printer.  I don't know if that's true.

Well, as I type this, I don't know whether their Internet access remained intact after I left or whether it failed again.  I haven't gotten a phone call, so I'm assuming / hoping that it remained working.  My sister's brother-in-law had said anyway that he had already called the AT & T phone company and that they had said they were sending a Tech to check things out.
Dell Optiplex 780 / Core 2 Duo E8400 3.00 GHz / 4 Gig RAM / Windows XP Pro 32-Bit SP3 / Panda Dome  Free 18.07.00 / MBAM / SAS / NetZero Dial Up / Maxthon MX5 5.2.5.4000

Offline Chim

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2014, 05:23:16 PM »
What I did notice when I first got there was the computer now had one of those something or other Optimizer Pro apps.  I forget the exact name, but it's one of those that's always running in the background.  When I asked my sister's brother-in-law if he installed it, he claimed he did not install it.  So, it was either my brother-in-law who installed it or it got bundled in with some other app that he installed since he has the habit of clicking on and installing anything and everything in sight.  Grrrrrrrrr!  So who knows?  It's possible that that Optimizer Pro or whatever it is could possibly be behind the loss of their Internet.  I'll uninstall it the next time I'm there.