Author Topic: w32.swen.a@mm silent deleting?  (Read 5000 times)

hpoehrli

w32.swen.a@mm silent deleting?
« on: October 25, 2003, 12:46:36 PM »
Hello
my mailbox collect 50-100 msgs daily containing attachments with that worm. I find it surprising that nobody knows what to do to stop that nuisance. My internet provider is not bothered, does not want to do anything, at least to block mails with .exe attachments. Any suggestions anybody?
So by downloading the mail into Outlook Avast alarms are presented. I would rather like no to be bothered, and would have Avast work silently (home edition). How can I set it to delete such messages silently.
Just by the way, after deleting such messages by avast, no information goes back to the mailbox, and that file is not deleted on the server. Why not? If I manually delete a mail, it will be deleted from the server too after closing Outlook!
Thanks for any help!
Hanspeter

techie101

Re:w32.swen.a@mm silent deleting?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2003, 10:56:26 PM »
Hello
my mailbox collect 50-100 msgs daily containing attachments with that worm. I find it surprising that nobody knows what to do to stop that nuisance.
Your internet provider better do something!  If not, I would seek another provider.  Try reporting it as SPAM to the provider.
Also, are the attachments coming from the same source? If so, your provider may have a "filter" as part of the service.  If not, there are some filters available for free.  DO NOT USE Webwasher.  It has caused problems with Avast.  Mailwasher has been given a good report by Avast users, but you can find many available SPAM tools at sites such as:
www.wantdbest.com
www.webattack.com
www.nonags.com
www.tucows.com

So by downloading the mail into Outlook Avast alarms are presented. I would rather like no to be bothered, and would have Avast work silently (home edition).
Unfortuantely, this feature requires the Enhanced User Interface on the Pro version.  There is a time-limited version you can try:
Here are the instructions if you choose to do so:
FROM VLK, our Global Moderator:   Start avast, switch to the Enhanced User Interface, go to the Tasks folder, and edit the Resident Task. Then (depending on your set up, either for the Internet Mail or the Outlook/Exchange provider) change the action on the Virus page from Interactive to e.g. Delete

Just by the way, after deleting such messages by avast, no information goes back to the mailbox, and that file is not deleted on the server. Why not?
Avast function is to either Remove/Delete/or Repair the infected file from the storage location on your computer.  It has no control over you email  connection to your email provider's server, nor should it.
If I manually delete a mail, it will be deleted from the server too after closing Outlook!
This is a function of Outlook and you can set Outlook to automatically delete email after close in the Options menu.

Best wishes,
Techie101
« Last Edit: October 25, 2003, 11:06:28 PM by techie101 »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re:w32.swen.a@mm silent deleting?
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2003, 02:56:24 AM »
Try some links at here, try the section 'Spam Tools'. Maybe some of them:

File13
Mail Washer
SpamPal

You´ll find MailWasher useful if you have just one email account. For more than one, you must buy MailWasher(Pro).

Edit: If anybody wants to configure Spamihilator and avast! to be used in the same computer, please, see this related forum.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2003, 09:24:18 PM by Technical »
The best things in life are free.