Author Topic: problem with installing windows critical updates!  (Read 8588 times)

Omar

problem with installing windows critical updates!
« on: August 11, 2005, 11:30:27 AM »
As we all know microsoft released 8 critical updates yesterday, my automatic updates are set to "download and install".

I am using XP home edition.

When I connect to the internet, a little "shield" icon appears near to the avast icon. When I put my mouse over the shield it says "installing updates 0%".

But then the shield icon disappears after a few seconds. This keeps happening, so obviously the critical updates are not being installed.

I am suprised becuase in the past, once the updates are installed you are asked to restart the computer. But is not happening.

I could install the updates manually but I why do I need to, when they are set to automatic.

What can I do about this problem

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: problem with installing windows critical updates!
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2005, 12:27:47 PM »
A lot of people are having troubles with the updates.
And they are not just Avast users.
It seems a problem on the side of Microsoft.

I got the updates through their website, but a 1.4Mb update took almost 4 minutes to download, while I normally can do it in a couple of seconds.

Only thing you can do seems to be keep trying.

Omar

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2005, 12:33:25 PM »
Eddy, I think installing the updates manually won`t be too much of a problem.

It`s the automatic process which is worrying me :'(

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2005, 01:01:57 PM »
As I said. A lot of people have that problem. Nothing you can do about it at this point. The fault is at Microsft's side.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2005, 01:47:36 PM »
Eddy, I think installing the updates manually won`t be too much of a problem.
It`s the automatic process which is worrying me :'(
Omar, yesterday, both manual and automatic updates were weird here.
Automatic did not finish (as yours), manual was lazy (like Eddy's).
The best things in life are free.

Neron

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2005, 02:21:18 PM »
As we all know microsoft released 8 critical updates yesterday, my automatic updates are set to "download and install".

I am using XP home edition.

When I connect to the internet, a little "shield" icon appears near to the avast icon. When I put my mouse over the shield it says "installing updates 0%".

But then the shield icon disappears after a few seconds. This keeps happening, so obviously the critical updates are not being installed.

I am suprised becuase in the past, once the updates are installed you are asked to restart the computer. But is not happening.

I could install the updates manually but I why do I need to, when they are set to automatic.

What can I do about this problem

I have the same problem.Strange that today I've installed 9 updates.The first time I've entered the microsoft windows update page since releasing Microsoft genuine advantage(if that's the name) it didn't wanted to scan my windows(or maybe it did this automatic .It just gave me to install those 9 critical updates.After the installation when i go back there it asks to scan my windows for originality(sorry for my bad English hope you have understood me)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2005, 03:04:57 PM »
It would appear that the Cumulative Security Update for IE (MS05-038  -  KB986727) has been removed from the manual download location as it was believed corrupt. However, the Auto Update was supposedly OK.

latest-batch-of-windows-updates-causes-problems-for-many-users
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Yinyang4evry1

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2005, 12:40:33 AM »
I received that problem like two or three times with Microsoft updates. Once it updated my intel graphics to intel extreme graphics but then the graphics on my computer was junky enough to give you a migraine. Then another time is messed with my AOL browser so it kept appearing a message as ATPKTP2 or something like that. Then on the third time, I had the problem like Omar and I tried recovering but it still gave me the same problems. I restored two times because of that. But from experience, I would be willing to wait and do it manually. Because once the updates are on my computer and they are corrupted, every time I re-download, the files would stay corrupt.
I really don't like Microsoft, but I respect Trend Micro which received its expert antispyware from Intermute............man my hands are tired ;D ;D

greetings from,

tim ;D

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2005, 01:02:30 AM »
I tend not to install graphics updates from the windows update site and would rather go to the graphics card web site.
But as a rule of thumb, if it isn't broke don't fix it, only do this or go looking for updated graphics drivers only if you are experiencing a problem that an update is supposed to resolve. I have in the past had to roll back a graphics driver update from MS. I had a similar problem with an AMD processor update from MS update, again had to roll back.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Yinyang4evry1

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2005, 04:19:23 AM »
i would do those type of things(roll back and all). But I have a twitchy finger that I do not want near my computer "stuff".
That's why I should never hold a gun while it's in my pocket... ;D ;D

greetings from,

tim :)

Yinyang4evry1

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2005, 11:18:33 PM »
j

Yinyang4evry1

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2005, 11:19:34 PM »
oops i don't know what i did to cause the message above

srry,
tim 8)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2005, 01:36:58 AM »
You can always go back and edit the post, without having to post again to explain. You could have put that in the original post.