Author Topic: De-Activate Avast  (Read 8195 times)

anniets

De-Activate Avast
« on: August 17, 2005, 08:01:01 AM »
How do i de-activte avast temperarily and then reactivate.?

Offline XMAS

• Avast translator
  • Super Poster
  • Santa is watching you ;)
    • avast! in Bulgarian
Re: De-Activate Avast
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2005, 08:11:27 AM »
What do you mean with de-active? Do you mean to shut down the resident protection? If so you can do it with right click on the "a" icon in the system tray and then stop on-access-scanner.
You've Got To Get Close To The Flame To See What It's Made Of...

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2005, 03:44:48 PM »
What is it that you are doing that you would/need to disable a part or all of avast?
If you can answer that we can it will give us an idea of the problem and help to give a better suggestion.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Ricky2005

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2005, 10:39:23 PM »
you shouldn't really deactive it because if you get a vrius then avast wont pick it up

fellowship1

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2005, 06:26:54 PM »
I just joined the forum because I found this topic and have a need to temporarily disable Avast too.  I have some embroidery software on my computer and need to uninstall it so that I can install the updated version, but when I try to uninstall it, the uninstall feature will not respond.  The embroidery software site instructs you to disable your anti-virus program if you get a message the the file is corrupted (which mine did not say but I assume it is the same problem, as in the past, when I had Norton on my computer, I had to disable it before I could update my embroidery software successfully).  Thanks for asking the question I needed to ask.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2005, 06:51:32 PM »
I find it strange that you would need to disable anti-virus just to uninstall, I would view this as highly suspicious, if what they are doing would be interpreted as virus activity.

Do you have to be on-line at the time of the uninstall?
I would hate to be on-line with my pants (anti-virus) down.

Download the update or latest version as a seperate download, go off-line, right click on the avast icon and select Pause Provider, select Standard Shield, uninstall the old version. Resume the provider (reverse of above instruction) and install the latest version of your embrodiery program.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

fellowship1

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2005, 07:18:07 PM »
Thank you so much for the reply.  Actually, you don't have to be online when you uninstall and install the program.  I had downloaded it to my hard drive in a folder first and then when I chose to run the install, it automatically pops up a window saying the old version must be uninstalled first and asks if you want to do so now.  That is when I encountered the problem, after I clicked on the uninstall option. 

Actually, I had paused everything listed when I right-clicked on the Avast icon, but it still happened, so it may not have anything to do with my problem. I don't know.

This is a reputable company, Embird Embroidery Software and there are many, many users of this software.  I posted a question on the Martha Pullen Machine Embroidery forum as well to see if anyone has encountered this problem.  I may need to e-mail the Embird folks.  You can tell, I'm not very computer literate and I apologize to those of you who are.  But, I still enjoy what I do and can't move forward with it until I get past this hurdle.  Thanks for the input.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2005, 08:22:53 PM »
Actually, you don't have to be online when you uninstall and install the program.
Do you mean avast!? No, you don't have.
Just to 'repair' an existing installation you need that.
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2005, 08:58:36 PM »
Actually, you don't have to be online when you uninstall and install the program.
Do you mean avast!? No, you don't have.
Just to 'repair' an existing installation you need that.
Tech, 'fellowship1' was just responding to my question, did he have to be on-line in order to uninstall the embrodery program (not avast).

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2005, 01:29:46 AM »
Tech, 'fellowship1' was just responding to my question, did he have to be on-line in order to uninstall the embrodery program (not avast).
Ooopss... terribly sorry  :-[
The best things in life are free.

fellowship1

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2005, 05:22:44 PM »
I never could get past the uninstall to install the new update to my software.  But, now I can't get into my software to use the old version.  I guess my next step is to e-mail the software company and ask them for some assistance.  Thank you for your comments.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2005, 06:46:16 PM »
It looks like the uninstall has done part of the job but failed to complete and that is stopping you running the old program.

Have you tried to install the new version (assuming the update is a complete installation) but select a different folder to the default it selects (e.g. the old version location).

fellowship1

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2005, 02:51:44 AM »
Thank you David R for responding to my delimma.  I haven't had much time to spend on it the last couple of days.  But, I went in and did a search for files and folders with that name in "My Computer" and then deleted all of them. So, I don't have the old folder now.  I tried to download the new install last night, but had to go do something and my internet must have timed out due to being idle or something.  It kept saying the download was 48% complete and never would go past that, and I left it and when I got out of the shower, my husband was using the phone and I have dial-up. So, I am assuming that it had timed out.
Tonight I tried to download the new install and when I go to the site and click on it, I get the "This page can not be displayed" message. So, I don't know whether the site is having a problem or if it is on my end.  I have asked on the sewing forum I belong to if anyone else is experiencing problems getting into it or not.  Thank you very much for you help  I appreciate it.