Author Topic: Check for full screen applications doesn't work  (Read 17426 times)

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
Re: Check for full screen applications doesn't work
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2005, 10:15:12 PM »
Actually i was whining about updates for a long time...
Incrimental system works great i admit it,but there is always that mouse cursor changing to sandclock just before update and looks like program gives max priority to updating. So i exactly know when update will be installed.
For example Kaspersky or NOD32 never gave those signals before update was applied (signature update of course) so it's perfectly invisible to use (even if you totaly disable all popups). Same goes for AVG. Is there any way to make it a bit mor relaxed and not visible to user? It just annoys me because of those symptoms i exactly know that i'll get VPS update in next 2 seconds.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline XMAS

• Avast translator
  • Super Poster
  • Santa is watching you ;)
    • avast! in Bulgarian
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2005, 10:21:22 PM »
It just annoys me because of those symptoms i exactly know that i'll get VPS update in next 2 seconds.

Exactly the same here!!!
You've Got To Get Close To The Flame To See What It's Made Of...

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2005, 12:08:09 AM »
Igor, isn't there any way to completely abandon the "rising blue panel" with notifications ? Why not include something more simple... something that will not use that much of system resources when displayed. I also like to see those information displayed, and I would never ever disable pop-up notification... not even crossed my mind... but for sure, it would be great to have it a little less "agressive". Maybe something like flashing Taskbar button or something similar, so when you click on it you'll get full info, otherwise it would be hidden inside the taskbar. I mean, we all know that animations uses a lot of resources, so I believe that animation just makes that problem even bigger.

Regards !
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2005, 12:26:56 AM »
The display of the blue panel doesn't have anything to do with "resource usage" (or rather, CPU load) - that's caused by the update itself (which checks its files on disk to see what should be downloaded). The animation is not "agressive" - it may switch full-screen applications into window since it shows a window on desktop - but it doesn't really use much resources.

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2005, 12:37:08 AM »
OK, but still it slows down the process in general. It's animation after all and when I'm doing animations I know that they can considerably slow down some other processes. Not everyone has latest models of video cards nor fast computers... there are still some people working on slow machines. That's the only reason I mentioned that. I don't play video games (at least not anymore, and I would like I play them, but as always lack of spare time...), so I don't have those problems they mentioned above, and I have no clue how does that look when you're in the middle of something like ongoing game and updates slows down everything... I just never experienced something like that, but I know that animation can slow down some other processes on the screen if you don't have some decent video card installed.

The animation is not "agressive" - it may switch full-screen applications into window since it shows a window on desktop - but it doesn't really use much resources.

Ok, it's quite enough if that happens when animation enters in... people who are in the middle of something using full screen won't be to happy when that happens... so another reason, to avoid that sliding panel and make something less "agressive". By "agressive" I don't mean anything like it's killing our processors, but something that will not be that noticeable on the screen and most important, that will not enter the screen in windowed mode... maybe something like taskbar notification or something...
« Last Edit: August 18, 2005, 12:40:58 AM by Slaaaaap! Hihihihi »
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2005, 03:48:17 AM »
Igor, isn't there any way to completely abandon the "rising blue panel" with notifications?
Sure, just change avast4.ini file settings... Haven't you ever read my thread about it?  ::)

Maybe something like taskbar notification or something...
Well, it's on avast4.ini file, isn't it?

Same goes for AVG.
You should be talking about the Pro version... The Home version is very little configurable... The update requires mouse clicks, pop-up notiifications, user's actions...  :P

Nice avatar, btw.
Sasha's made  8)  Proud to be his friend  ;)
The best things in life are free.

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2005, 03:57:48 AM »
Sure, just change avast4.ini file settings... Haven't you ever read my thread about it?  ::)

Where ? I certainly can not find anything inside avast4.ini file that has anything to do with sliding panel or similar notification in Taskbar... jst something about avast! icon which I don't have problems with...

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2005, 04:02:40 AM »
Where ? I certainly can not find anything inside avast4.ini file that has anything to do with sliding panel or similar notification in Taskbar... jst something about avast! icon which I don't have problems with...

[iAVS] section values RunningMode, Progress, TrayIcon (http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=1647.msg10271#msg10271)
[AAVM] section values SuppressUpdatedInfo and SuppressUpdateErrorInfo (http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=1647.msg10268#msg10268)

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2005, 04:18:34 AM »
OK but still that's not what I want Tech. In there all I can do is to completely disable showing of those sliding panels or either enable it... I want to see notification, but if possible something light like just one button inside taskBar appears or something. If I completely disable appearing of those sliding windows, then I won't be able to see anything... it would be completely silent...

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2005, 04:21:06 AM »
OK but still that's not what I want Tech. In there all I can do is to completely disable showing of those sliding panels or either enable it... I want to see notification, but if possible something light like just one button inside taskBar appears or something. If I completely disable appearing of those sliding windows, then I won't be able to see anything... it would be completely silent...
Yes, you're right. You can have an icon only during the update, not after...

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2005, 09:13:36 AM »
No no no. I won't agree by totally hiding those sliding boxes. It's like hiding dust under the carpet instead of throwing it into the trash.
That tray update icon is useless because it shows on EACH update check and not on actual update only. And AVG7 Free doesn't show anything if you configure it that way.
I tried and it was completely silent.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2005, 09:21:01 AM by RejZoR »

Neron

« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2005, 09:26:03 AM »
It would be nice to see the "a" icon flashing in green,yellow and blue .And maybe a small balloon(pop up-like windows popups) that says the version of the vps update and the time it was installed.
P.S. I have the same problem.The function just isn't working or at least i haven't seen it yet.(i have it checked)

darth.mikey

« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2005, 10:07:13 AM »
Same problems with Pacific Fighters flying simulation but the funny thing is it always happens in a middle of a dogfight and then 2 hours of flying gone kaput  :'(

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2005, 12:54:49 PM »
OK, we found one problem in the code (which is a good news since we know how to fix it).
Let's hope it will be better in the next version...

Sorry about the problems.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2005, 12:58:51 PM »
No problem at all if we try to solve it :) We'll see if it works in the upcoming beta...