Author Topic: Hardened Mode Exclusions?  (Read 3276 times)

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
Hardened Mode Exclusions?
« on: October 21, 2014, 08:47:23 PM »
When will hardened mode exclusions stick?

As DavidR, myself and many others have mentioned the exclusions don't stick.
I keep adding exclusions for the same thing over and over again.
For example, before beta testing and before installing the final release I run
the official avast uninstaller and each time I have to make the same
cotten-picking exclusion. There are certain times I do complete clean installs.
And it gets old making the same exclusion for the same thing.
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Hardened Mode Exclusions?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2014, 09:01:14 PM »
Right up to the 10.0.2205, the hardened mode exclusions haven't been working - so far I haven't tripped a hardened mode popup since updating to 10.0.2206. That will probably take a reboot or two for it to trip old faithful, the one it has failed on for ages.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline hectic-mmv

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2014, 12:22:54 PM »
Guys, can you send me link for the program for which it does not work? I cannot reproduce it. thx

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2014, 03:45:52 PM »
It isn't so much the program that doesn't work, the problem is any program that attracts the attention of the Hardened Mode (HM) - when you click the Add an exception, it isn't being added to the Hardened Mode exceptions.

In my case it is an executable within the Outpost Firewall Pro 9.1, feedback.exe which is getting constantly pinged. See image of HM alert popup and note the path format the old 8.3 file/path format style. I'm not sure if this would have anything to do with it, but I rather doubt that.

Previously manually adding the full path didn't work, as soon as you added it and closed the interface (it was gone when you opened the exceptions again). This part action now appears to be working - but for obvious reasons, I don't want to do that as I'm hoping that eventually the Add an exception in the alert window functions as it should.

Shouldn't all of these HM alert popup stats/information be being uploaded to avast under the Community IQ ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2014, 04:20:58 PM »
Well, the short path actually could be the reason...

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2014, 04:28:41 PM »
Well, the short path actually could be the reason...

I have had other ones previously (earlier beta/RC builds), I can't recall them off hand and they had full paths displayed, interestingly many of these were avast files. Currently the only repetitive one is this problem child feedback.exe.

Older versions of avast seemed to cope with 8.3 style format and full paths.

REDACTED

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2014, 04:45:32 PM »
Previously manually adding the full path didn't work, as soon as you added it and closed the interface (it was gone when you opened the exceptions again). This part action now appears to be working

DavidR
Unless you are aware that the avast team actually made any corrections in this new version then I wouldn't necessarily assume it to be working just because it hasn't done it in a short period of time.  I've added entries by using a combination of browse, manually adding and clicking the add to exclusions link (as the many threads on here about this issue indicate) and had them sometimes stay for months before the whole thing just decided to wipe out or show a different path (short names), or all capital letters whereas previously it was normal case.

Did avast actually make any fixes on this in the new version?