Author Topic: Possible Memory Leak in ashMaiSv  (Read 2827 times)

b00sfuk

Possible Memory Leak in ashMaiSv
« on: August 17, 2005, 07:19:14 PM »
I seem to be getting a bad memory leak with ashMaiSv when using NNTP.  If I download binaries via XNews then I get a 4MB (in this test case)  jump in the working set size of this module for each block download - this in incremental and I killed one process at 800MB!.

This is a latest version with all standard settings (and Internet Mail shield on normal or high) on a pretty standard up-to-date AMD based XP SP2 system. I've tried several times over the past week and it seems to be recreatable.  I don't seem to have a problem with SMTP mail but this is difficult to see with such smaller sizes.

Anything I can do please?

b00sfuk

Re: Possible Memory Leak in ashMaiSv
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2005, 07:26:24 PM »
Just done some more testing and it happens with SMTP as well (a leap of just under 4MB for each email received or sent).  So I guess it must be just my problem as otherwise a few others might have reported it!  I'll try a reinstall etc. and hope it goes away.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2005, 08:02:07 PM »
4MB? That's a lot... It appeared even when no attachment was sent with the e-mail, right?

Do you have any local proxies or other special network applications installed?

b00sfuk

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2005, 08:07:57 PM »
No attachments, just short text emails (even sent myself oneto test).   Seems to be a fixed amount (a little under 4MB) for each SMTP/NNTP item regardless of size.   I've a pretty standard DSL setup through a hardware router (plus the SP2 firewall) - all default settings.

I'll try a reinstall in a bit - need to have some food first!

b00sfuk

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2005, 09:08:53 PM »
Just reinstalled Avast and the problem seems to have gone away.  Will continue to monitor, thanks for the help.