Author Topic: Paying twice (or three times) for the same subscription?  (Read 5021 times)

REDACTED

Paying twice (or three times) for the same subscription?
« on: August 03, 2014, 03:58:47 AM »
I had a (just expired) subscription to Avast Internet Security on an old XP box, now seldom online.  I also have a recent subscription on a Windows 8 laptop.  I had understood one subscription covered up to 3 machines.  Those two have however differing customer numbers (102832821 on the XP box, 106970073 on the laptop).  The laptop subscription still has more than 300 days to run.  Both use the same E-mail address.

I have also been charged, on 7/28/2014, for an Avast Internet Security subscription via credit card, with all the earmarks of automatic renewal (that could only be for the XP box).

I would appreciate some clarification <G>.

Thanks,

John

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Re: Paying twice (or three times) for the same subscription?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2014, 07:57:54 AM »
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2014, 11:57:47 AM »
I had understood one subscription covered up to 3 machines.
No, it is for one system unless you bought a license for three systems.
Since you have two different order-numbers, it looks as if you have bought two separate licenses each for one system.
Not entirely sure, but I think you can see the license details in http://my.avast.com

The automatic renewal only takes place if you have chosen for it when buying the license.

Depending on how/where you bought the license, you can stop the automatic renewal.
Here are some links to find/change the order:
http://www.avast.com/find-order
www.findmyorder.com
https://avast-us.nexway.com/index.html?Langue=en_US

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2014, 02:04:08 AM »
It looks as if I have one license for a single device, currently valid, expires 6/1/2015, and another for three devices, currently valid, expires 7/30/2015.  The automatic renewal charge against my credit card is dated 7/28/2014 so that presumably applies to the 3-device license.

At present my laptop (the one I am typing on now) has an active license (I don't know which of the two it is).  My old desktop says its license is expired and I am not protected.

The first license (exp 6/1/2015) says 1 device is available.
The second license (exp 7/30/2015) says 3 devices are available.

How do I find out which of those licenses is actually in use?

Do I suppose correctly that I need to go online with the old XP box and download a license?

Thanks,

John

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2014, 01:45:20 PM »
Right click the avast icon near the clock and choose subscription.

REDACTED

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2014, 03:55:31 AM »
I have disconnected the Win XP computer from the Internet and from my WiFi network.  Nevertheless I think I paid to renew that subscription and it has not been renewed.

A couple of days ago I got a notice that my subscription on this laptop had expired and I had to renew.  I think that was the 3 computer subscription.  I was told I was not protected. I duly renewed for a two year subscription ... and then found that the existing subscription had 201 days yet to run.  I believe my credit card was billed twice for that renewal.  At least I received two payment acknowledgements!

Needless to say I am not a happy camper.  I think I have now paid 4 or maybe 5 times to renew a not yet expired subscription.

What do I have to do so that someone can look at my accounts and repay the now considerable overpayments - or at least credit them to future events?

Your products are wonderful but your Accounts Receivable department maybe needs a kick in the butt.

There is another account in the name of Alpaugh Community Services District (local government, a water authority) for which I am the signatory, but those are separate computers at a separate location and should not be confused with my private account on my own computers at home.

That account also seems to have expired prematurely, after only a few months.  Public funds, for which I am accountable, so I am unhappy about that as well.

Thanks,

John

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2014, 04:14:02 AM »
What do I have to do so that someone can look at my accounts and repay the now considerable overpayments - or at least credit them to future events?
See reply #1

REDACTED

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2014, 05:53:49 AM »
"See answer #1" - to log in there I need a customer number, and have no idea now what that might be.  Long ago I found I had two different customer numbers, and have the impression each payment event generates a new customer number.

In any case I find I now have 3 accounts, all valid: one that expires 6/1/2015 for one device, one that expires 7/30/2015 for three devices, and one that expires 11/12/2016, the two year license I just purchased, for one device.  Not being able to log in to create a ticket, I tried phone support, but found that because of time shift they are closed.  Try again tomorrow, perhaps.  They close at 8 pm Eastern time - and I get off work after 5 pm Pacific time.  Not allowed to make personal phone calls during working hours.  Maybe at lunchtime.

When I paid for this last subscription, a week ago tomorrow, I learned afterward that my existing subscription on this device (my laptop) had 201 days to run.  201 days from November 12th is June 1 2015.  That would mean that the other two subscriptions are not currently attached to any device (the one for the XP machine expired some time ago and was not renewed although I paid for a renewal (the 3 devices license, I think).  At present I have one device attached to the Internet (the Win 8 laptop on which I am typing this) and one not attached to the Internet (the XP desktop).  In due course (probably a few months from now) I will have a new desktop and will want to add that as a second device.  I also have (currently, after my latest subscription) Avast mobile on my Samsung Galaxy S5.  Don't know which account that is attached to.

I am still mystified as to why, with 201 days left on the current subscription, Avast notified me that my subscription had expired and that I was not protected.  Being well aware of the nasty stuff currently floating around the Internet, I panicked and immediately renewed the "expired" subscription - which in fact, as I found out immediately afterward, still had 201 days to run.

I'm hoping the phone support folks can sort this out.

Anyway, thanks for listening.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2014, 07:58:57 AM »
"See answer #1" - to log in there I need a customer number
No you don't. It requires a email address and password.

If you want to find your order number(s):
https://www.findmyorder.com/sstore?Action=DisplayHomePage&SiteID=findmyor&Locale=en_US