Author Topic: Do I Need Microsoft Malicious Software Tool With Avast and MalwareBytes Scans??  (Read 1805 times)

Offline The Sniggler

I usually do a daily Avast and MB scan, do we actually need to d\l the Microsoft Malicious Software Tool with regular Avast and MalwareBytes scans??

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
When I had the choice (winXP and win7 Updates) I had them set to Ask and always declined the Microsoft Malicious Software Tool download.

You don't say what your OS is ?
That will probably dictate if your WU gives you the choice.  I haven't seen that option in win10 updates.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline The Sniggler

WIN7
I always decline the Malicious Software Tool, I figure I am covered by Avast and MB
Thanks

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
You're welcome.

I did an update today on my win10 system, I have my connection setting set to a a metered connection. This stops it downloading immediately on patch Tuesday.  I give it a while to see if there are any issues reported and then I do a manual update check. I noticed whilst doing that 'Malicious Software Tool' was also mentioned, but no where could I see a means of not having it.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Cluster-Lizard2014

I do not know if Windows 10 now even 'provides' the option to change them now but it probably depends on your Windows Updates settings.

With earlier Windows you had a "Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them"

Go to the Control Panel or whatever the Win10 equivalent is and check the System and Security > Windows Updates > Settings.

If MS have not removed this option from Win10 when Windows Updates are available (usually on or some time after update Tuesday every month). "Important" and "Optional" updates will be shown with the Malicious Software Removal Tool provided as one of the "Important" updates.

Unlike some other "Important" updates unless you are on metered BB there's no reason not to include it and let it do its thing, which you'll barely notice. In 8 years of using it its never flagged up a problem on my system probably because I've been using AVAST and have had other malware protection for most of that time.