Author Topic: No pop up showing new definitions updated 2015 avast pro  (Read 17479 times)

REDACTED

No pop up showing new definitions updated 2015 avast pro
« on: October 22, 2014, 10:01:51 AM »
Hi,
I have  and use avast pro - And since the update  2015 I have not seen any popup
To say  your avast antivirus  virus definitions have been updated... ?
I have it set to update every 120 minutes but haven't seen any popup message
To say virus definitions have been updated..

I have no problem updating manually..

Steve

Offline abruptum

• Massive Poster
Re: No pop up showing new definitions updated 2015 avast pro
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2014, 10:24:34 AM »
Same here.So far I really don't like the latest version.

Offline MartinZ

• Advanced Poster
  • Product Manager
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2014, 10:28:02 AM »
Hi, these popups were removed from V2015 as in fact with streaming updates you are getting ~200 updates/day. So showing a message that virus database has been updated twice a day isn't correct. In case your virus definitions will be too old we will advise you to make manual update. Otherwise no manual updates needed.

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2014, 10:55:03 AM »
Hi, these popups were removed from V2015 as in fact with streaming updates you are getting ~200 updates/day. So showing a message that virus database has been updated twice a day isn't correct. In case your virus definitions will be too old we will advise you to make manual update. Otherwise no manual updates needed.
Thanks Martin :)
I was wondering as why I haven't  seen the popup messages!

A shame if they have been removed as it always gave you popup message saying
Your antivirus definitions have been updated  knowing - and giving the satisfaction
That all has been updated and the sense that all is working well - Will Miss those popups..

Thanks for the prompt reply..

Steve

Offline Alpha-UMi

• Der Ãœberdenker
  • "Vitam impendere vero"
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2014, 12:53:03 AM »
OK, but it seems to me that the options to set up the pop up updates (and sounds) are still present in Settings --> General. Are they leftovers with no actual use?  ???
"Vitam impendere vero"

Offline MartinZ

• Advanced Poster
  • Product Manager
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2014, 11:14:52 AM »
They control also other types of messages.

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Super(massive black hole) Poster
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2014, 02:36:57 PM »
There's my question answered. I'll miss the "Pirate Talk" announcements.
There is a way that seems right to a man,
       but in the end it leads to death
.” - Proverbs 16:25

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2014, 04:25:45 PM »
Frankly, I am uncomfortable without "VPS Update Notification".
Its seems it's all or nothing. Where's the options?
« Last Edit: November 01, 2014, 04:30:47 PM by schmidthouse »

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2014, 07:59:07 PM »

It might not be correct, but it does give many users a bit of comfort to know
that a "major" vps update has occurred. Also having the option to untick/disable
vps update pop-ups worked fine for those who didn't like the pop-ups. My main
qualm was the incorrect (advertising) or the piggy-back (vps with advertising)
pop-ups.
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

Offline Gandalf1369

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2014, 08:46:32 PM »
Count me as another user who would prefer to see the VPS pop-up return. . . .
Windows 10 (64bit); 8GB RAM; Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Pro; avast Free (latest version)

REDACTED

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2014, 11:51:52 PM »

Your antivirus definitions have been updated  knowing - and giving the satisfaction
That all has been updated and the sense that all is working well - Will Miss those popups..

Steve

That's all very nice but............. My ISP bills my data consumption based on 1000MB=1GB not 1024MB (lets not go there) so with "streaming updates" will I now see a considerable increase in data usage? BTW since installing the 2015 version, my system has become considerably slower, maybe because Avast is so busy streaming:-))

Offline KevTech

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2014, 12:01:50 AM »
That's all very nice but............. My ISP bills my data consumption based on 1000MB=1GB not 1024MB (lets not go there) so with "streaming updates" will I now see a considerable increase in data usage? BTW since installing the 2015 version, my system has become considerably slower, maybe because Avast is so busy streaming:-))

You can disable streaming updates if you want or need to.

Setting > Update

Click on setting under virus definitions and uncheck Enable streaming updates

REDACTED

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2014, 12:35:53 AM »

Steve

My streaming today does not go over 600 KB an that is also counting in VPS 14120801.

I also feel very uncomfortable not knowing if my Avast has updated its virus definitions during the day, or for that matter, if it is getting the stream updates. I have to open Avast to check it out.

Waiting for Avast to alert you of not having an updated virus definitions is not logical. The logical procedure is for Avast to tell you it has updated its VPS.

It does not matter if you say that streaming and VPS are working in the background silently. What if they are not ? How long would it take Avast to alert that the virus definitions are out of date. 1, 2, 3 days ? Meanwhile you can pass the cursor over Avast icon and read "your system is secured", but it is not. Avast has to be opened to read what version vps it has or how many stream updates has received to be sure everything is working as it should be. Illogical. Totally illogical.

I, for one, want my update notifications back or something that allows me to know Avast has updated its db this day without the need to open it.

REDACTED

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2014, 10:02:11 PM »
I also opt for notification because before I had an accident when update failed and I would never know that if that box did not appear. Also I don't understand why the two type of updates is needed, I mean normal update and streaming update.

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2014, 10:59:10 PM »
Regular/normal vps updates include all of the streaming updates since the last one.
From another thread, yes streaming updates happen around every 3 to 5 minutes 24/7.
The reason is that malware is created that fast so for better protection the fine people
at avast makes every effort to make sure we/you get the latest protection.  8)

https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=162909.msg1162001#msg1162001
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.