Author Topic: Avast is apparently stopping updates....silently?  (Read 5201 times)

Offline Mike23

Avast is apparently stopping updates....silently?
« on: November 16, 2014, 01:58:10 PM »
Hi guys 'n' gals,
It's been a while since I last posted, coz I don't/didn't have any Avast probs to complain about.......till now.

I just struck another glitch with Avast v2015.10.0.2208.
I run WIN7 HP SP1.

Mailwasher Pro had notified me that an update was available.

I duly D/L'd the .exe & tried to install it.
All I got was that "Windows could not recognise the file or location & I did not have sufficient privileges."

After chasing the Windows "error" at the WIN7 fora without any luck, I even D/L's & installed a .reg fix to show
"Take Command" in the Context Menu.
No deal.

I eventually disabled the Avast Shields Control for 10 Mins.
& I was able to install the MWP update.

All fine & dandy. ;)
I rebooted the PC just to check things. No problems.

BUT....
Then I noticed that another app I use, did not open from the Start Menu during the reboot. WOT!
Same Windows message re; "Not sufficient privileges etc etc."

So, I tried a new shortcut from the Program folder. = No deal.

I then disabled Avast Web Shields & was able to restore my shortcut to the Start Menu.
The app now functions normally.

Why for is Avast now giving all these errors?

I've checked most of the similar threads but nothing is really relevant.

Thanks for reading & any ideas are welcome.

Regs, M..

ps. Hello GJ.

& I do not have any probs with any of my Firefox versions.
==========================================================================================

Thanks to "DavidR" for his post.
Did you actually get any alerts, if so what and what action did you take ?

& David, Avast gave no indication/pop-up or message of any kind.
Hardened mode is "Moderate."
I run Comodo firewall & have never had it report (or stop the installation of), any new version when MWP has updated.
(Not that MWP has done so recently.)

There was absolutely no indication other than the Windows one, as mentioned.
I then went through all the "fixes" as suggested at the WIN 7 fora with -ve results.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Avast is apparently stopping updates....silently?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2014, 04:15:14 PM »
It doesn't come as a surprise to me that avast is blocking mailwasher.
Both need access to your mail to do their work.
I suspect mailwasher is trying to implement itself in your mail client while avast is already there with at least the mailshield.
I guess that avast says "Hé look. There is a intruder, lets not let him in."

Offline Mike23

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2014, 05:54:27 PM »
Hi Eddy,
Thanks for the comment.

All I can say is....

Why is this AVAST version giving the results posted & not the previous version?

MWP has updated quite a few times & I've had no problems with it.

MWP does not "implement" itself into Thunderbird.
After "washing" the mail, it simply calls for whatever email client is set as the default.

&, I was trying to install a MWP update...Nothing else, so AVAST had no reason to interfere with that function.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2014, 06:21:02 PM »
After "washing" the mail, it simply calls for whatever email client is set as the default.
Ofcourse it does. It it isn't between the mail server and your client, it can't scan the mails before they reach the client. avast's mailshield is doing the same. They work in the same area, so yes there can be a conflict. How exactly it is working, I don't know.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2014, 06:37:56 PM »
I would suggest that you set the Hardened Mode to Aggressive - as strange as this seems it is less noisy (popups) than Moderate. Plus as you will have seen from my attached images in my previous post in the other topic (https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=160114.msg1151345#msg1151345) it throws up a popup which you can use the Add to exceptions.

The avast Mail Shield would in essence still be scanning the content for MWP as it is acting as an email client in accessing your POP3 email, etc. to download the email for preview, etc.

- So avast's Internet Mail provider would scan the email traffic to MailWasher:
MailWasher doesn't download the complete email to do its analysis, it only downloads the headers, a small part of the body, it doesn't download images or attachments and it views what is downloaded in text only (this is different if you use the View HTML option). Based on this I personally don't feel that any negligible risk worth scanning duplication, but the choice is yours.

By editing the EmailShield.ini file, [MailScanner] section using notepad (need to run it as administrator for win7 and above). It may be best to save a copy of EmailShield.ini to another location in case of any problem, you can then copy the original back.

[MailScanner]
IgnoreProcess=MailWasherProApp.exe,MailWasherPro.exe add this line if you don't already have an IgnoreProcess line (note the comma separating the two processes.
Save the changes to EmailShield.ini and exit, the avast self-defence module will ask are you sure about the changes, etc. answer Yes.

Locations:
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\AVAST Software\Avast\EmailShield.ini XP
C:\ProgramData\AVAST Software\Avast\EmailShield.ini Vista and later.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 06:39:51 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Mike23

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2014, 05:07:53 PM »
Ta muchly for the replies.
I know how MWP operates.

I'm not sure, but I think that you're missing the point.

I just tried to install an update to MWP & Avast stopped it.....I've had no problems with it or Avast, when washing mail.

Avast also stopped me from opening a couple of my apps until I disabled the Shields.

Anyway, seeing as I now know what to do with Avast, I'll say thanks for all the suggestions & good luck with the new version.

I hope it's a whole heap better than 2015.x.x 2008.

Regards, M..

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2014, 06:18:30 PM »
I'm not missing the point - I have mentioned how to get round the detection by the Hardened Mode and subsequently avast.

Avast will still be monitoring the MWP traffic, it may slow that function and why I offered the mod which could improve response. Not to forget that the MailWasherPro.exe file was flagged by the Hardened Mode as the image I posted shows and how to get round that.

I have been running Outpost Firewall, avast free for over ten years and MailWasher from way back when it was free and no restrictions on the number of email servers it worked with. So I have seen all three applications go through changes over the years and managed them to keep everything working together.

Your system, your choice.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Mike23

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2014, 02:48:14 PM »
Thanks David.
I've already done both the "Hardened Mode to Aggressive" & "the changes to EmailShield.ini".
I've also added MWP to the Exceptions list.

Seeing as you've used the same programs for so long, as have I, can you explain why AVAST 2015
stopped MWP from updating or even letting me do a manual update & also the Error messages from Windows?

Those should not have occurred, even with the Moderate mode set.

I did not have any probs with the older AVAST version/s when updating MWP or trying to open "the" other programs.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Regs, M..
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 02:53:14 PM by Mike23 »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2014, 04:21:02 PM »
I can only say that the file wasn't on the white list of commonly in use executables/installation files. The file system shield does a check on the avast cloud for file reputation, e.g. have other avast users been using this, is it a known file - I would say that it would have a low reputation count. I also suspect that the MWP setup file wasn't digitally signed, which is likely to hurt its reputation score.

For me it would be different so the above is speculative I already had the Hardened Mode set to Aggressive, so the actions could be somewhat different, but would have the same impact not allowing the program to run. 

Hardened Mode set to Aggressive, check the avast cloud but it also gives the opportunity when an alert/information warning popup is displayed to Add an exclusion.

I don't know exactly what happened in your case as you said you didn't get an avast alert/information warning popup. You said to start with All I got was that "Windows could not recognise the file or location & I did not have sufficient privileges." and then a windows permissions "Not sufficient privileges etc etc."

So I'm at a loss as to why you didn't get the same alerts as me - but the Hardened Mode even on Moderate I would have though it would have had some interaction. The only thing I can think of is that during any avast interaction with this file, could have slowed its action and Windows took this delay as some sort of permissions issue.

You can't relate what happened in older versions of avast as things like Hardened Mode, DeepScreen and Reputation Services, either weren't present or at such an advanced stage of development.

Offline Mike23

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2014, 12:49:37 PM »
Thanks again David.

I'll see how things go.

Hopefully when another program has an update, I'll not strike any glitches with it & AVAST/Windows etc etc.

Ta muchly.

Regards, M..

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2014, 04:29:19 PM »
You're welcome.