Author Topic: PC to crawl & no internet issue with V10/2015  (Read 7911 times)

REDACTED

PC to crawl & no internet issue with V10/2015
« on: October 22, 2014, 06:22:37 PM »
Guys, I have been updating all my PCs from V8 to V9 (clean in & re-installs).
This morning I did my main (#1) home PC and found out Avast stalled V10/2015.
Immediately after reboot the system went to its knees....nothing "barely" responded.
Also, all my other PCs on my network could not get on internet......yikes !!!
I did CUSTOM install with only the shields selected....no Tools....but I saw SecureDNS had "?" mark on it.
I also have done "some".....not much ready on NG.
Anyway, I don't have time to debug V10......I'll have to fall back to V8 unless the V9/2014 FREE installer is still out there ?
« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 01:11:28 PM by thekochs »

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
Re: Version 9/2014 out there ?.....can't deal with V10/2015
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2014, 07:46:41 AM »
Ever thought you have deeper problems with your system(s)? All computers going offline on your network because you installed avast! 2015 on one just doesn't make any sense unless if you have them chain linked with dual NIC interfaces and with bridged connections. Which would be stupid thing to do unless it's an emergency setup and you have no switch or router available.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline Staticguy

• Super Poster
Re: Version 9/2014 out there ?.....can't deal with V10/2015
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2014, 08:01:49 AM »
Time for you to get your whole computer checked for system and performance issues. Something is terribly wrong with your computer big time or you got hidden malware (it's one or the other). Installing a brand new version of Avast 2015 and it causing issues/problems with your computer... I really really really find that hard to believe. If I were you i would definitely get the computer checked up or buy a new computer.

I really hope that www.oldapps.com website stop downloads of very old outdated antivirus softwares!!!! It ain't worth it at all!!!
DELL Inspiron 15" 7000 Gaming, Windows 10 Home Version 21H1 (OS Build 19043.1237), Trend Micro Maximum Security 2021 (17.0.1333), Avast SecureLine VPN (5.12.5655), Windows Firewall, Unchecky 1.2

REDACTED

Re: Version 9/2014 out there ?.....issue with V10/2015
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2014, 02:51:05 PM »
I agree with you guys......I've run all the checks (MBAM, AdwCleaner, Avast9 etc.) and this PC is clean.....but I'll run/post.
I run Avast 8...now Avast 9 with no Virus found, MBAM Pro and CryptoPrevent on all PCs.
I found V9 FREE latest program offline installer (thx for your link too) and did a clean uninstall of V10 and install of V9....runs great !

Right now I have Comcast at 25Mbps pipe and works fine but if everyone on the house is online (kids with YouTube, Netflix going, etc.) some PCs can delay or not get internet.  I see from other threads on NG on how it takes a lot of CPU initially for 15 minutes until it finishes its VM snapshots......however, I used V10 FREE installer...only shields checked in Custom....no NG, right ?  I can say when I rebooted for first time the PC came up after logon and seemed OK....even could get to router fine and webpages fine......then is started to slow down to a crawl.  The PC is a HP DM4 2.5Ghz W7 64bit with 4GB RAM.....a very quick PC in all other efforts.  My only "guess" is this PC with V10 was doing something across the network out the router than consumed so much bandwidth it had same effect of heavy traffic effect of multiple users streaming/etc. on the other PCs attempts to get on Internet....don't think V10 effected other PCs "directly".

Anyway, I appreciate your thoughts but while I have nothing definitive to point to there are a lot of posts on CPU and memory usage (kind of like when V9/2014 was released) as well as SecureDNS, WebShield issues.  I do not think SecureDNS is in FREE ?  Anyway, I have one PC left to move from V8 to V9......will do that today.  Think I may wait until a turn or two of V10 and see how the tweaks go with it and try out as it settles.  I know many of you BETA testers are fine with current revision but as we saw with V9 release it took several turns of the code to get solid for "everyone".
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 06:22:50 PM by thekochs »

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Re: Version 9/2014 out there ?.....issue with V10/2015
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2014, 02:57:10 PM »
I do not think SecureDNS is in FREE ?
Nope.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

REDACTED

Avast 9 & MBAM Pro ran early this morning......nothing found......I can post those logs if you want ?
Here are FRST64, aswMBR, AdwCleaner, RogueKiller reports I just ran.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 03:30:26 PM by thekochs »

REDACTED

RogueKiller report.

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
Try an uninstall of MBAM initially and see if that helps with the speed problem

REDACTED

Try an uninstall of MBAM initially and see if that helps with the speed problem

Will do, when I initially installed MBAM Pro it DID bog down this PC...so did a CLEAN install and solved.
https://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?/topic/146005-v175-to-v201-w7-64x-login-hang-issue/
I will try your suggestion of MBAM uninstalled why I try V10....need to get last PC to V9.....then start playing with this PC to V10.

Are all the logs I posted clean ?
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 06:23:43 PM by thekochs »

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
Re: Version V9/2014 installer ?, PC to crawl & no internet issue with V10/2015
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2014, 05:54:02 PM »
Yup nothing apparent :)

REDACTED

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2014, 06:05:36 PM »
Yup nothing apparent :)

Thx !

I'll post my non-MBAM, V10, efforts when I get to it....probably over the weekend.

REDACTED

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2014, 07:16:06 PM »
Out of curiosity, after you boot up and leave the system alone for e.g., 5 minutes, how many processes are running?

A clean Windows 7 system can settle down to a number somewhere in the thirties (e.g., 37 processes).

I've run across a lot of folks with WAY over 100 processes running.  Those are the ones the term "bogged down" often applies to.

-Noel

REDACTED

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2014, 07:21:15 PM »
Out of curiosity, after you boot up and leave the system alone for e.g., 5 minutes, how many processes are running?
A clean Windows 7 system can settle down to a number somewhere in the thirties (e.g., 37 processes).
I've run across a lot of folks with WAY over 100 processes running.  Those are the ones the term "bogged down" often applies to.

-Noel

Thx for the insight.......I could not even get Task Manager to come up it was SO bogged down.
However, looking at it NOW....it has over 70....but the PC screams along....so don't think the W7 system is an issue.
So, it is either Avast10 or Avast10+MBAMPro or Avast10 interacting with something else.
Avast10 FREE is the only "added" variable to this.....Avast9 running now just great.

BTW, saw this thread on Internet access issues but to be honest with the system having such performance issue with V10 installed "my" internet issue probably related to that but thought this was interesting.
https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=157720.0

Of course good test will be as Essexboy said.......uninstall MBAM and re-try clean install of V10 and see.
I may also disable HTTPS scan too as a variable.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 07:48:26 PM by thekochs »

REDACTED

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2014, 11:35:37 PM »
Doing a little reading and while SecureDNS is not in FREE, I thought I recall seeing NG is not either ?
Doing some reading https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=157520.0 it looks like NG (VM) is base part of DeepScreen which is in FREE, correct ?

AVAST NG
A hardware based virtualization solution capable of running each Windows process in standalone safe virtualized environment (VM) and fully integrated to your desktop. Each process is executed in its own instance of VM, which means totally isolated from your other applications. This feature is now powering the Avast DeepScreen, resulting in better detection. Avast NG requires HW virtualization enabled.

Also, all systems can handle hardware virtualization ?
I thought only some "level" of systems could ?
Where I'm going with this is perhaps NG on a PC that has a lot of processes or other items cannot handle this load ?
I'm trying to determine why the PC was fine for few minutes then choked and puked on response. :)
I'm thinking I'm not alone: https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=157642.0
Also, I know it was said NG takes 5+ minutes to setup and could cause performance lapse....is this one time thing or on every boot ?

« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 12:29:51 AM by thekochs »