Author Topic: Avast ripping people off?  (Read 2876 times)

REDACTED

Avast ripping people off?
« on: October 22, 2014, 11:04:13 PM »
I recently ordered Avast Premier.  I could not get it to download, so I called Avast! They told me the problem was with my computer, in that, I had another antivirus, (albeit, expired) and needed their h elp to rectify the situation.  This solution would cost me $180.00 but it would be quick and efficient (only taking 1 hour) and my computer would be back to "NEW".  I bit, knew I shouldn't but I did. I took Alexanders word for it.  Well the total package was $230.00.  Guess what I got from it.....NOTHING! After waiting 2 1/2 hours with Mathew, (technician???) and accomplishing NOTHING.  I told him he needed to delete the old programs, BEFORE trying to instlall new ones, YEP, I TOLD HIM what to do.  Is that right?? Just wasted 230.00Oh well, live and learn.  Never got anything done, I had enough. I will take the hit on the cash, and know in the future not to deal with AVast.  When you call "customer support", expect to told that you cannot talk to a "manager" sorry for your luck.

V

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
Re: Avast ripping people off?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2014, 11:25:37 PM »
I recently ordered Avast Premier.  I could not get it to download, so I called Avast! They told me the problem was with my computer, in that, I had another antivirus, (albeit, expired) and needed their h elp to rectify the situation.  This solution would cost me $180.00 but it would be quick and efficient (only taking 1 hour) and my computer would be back to "NEW".  I bit, knew I shouldn't but I did. I took Alexanders word for it.  Well the total package was $230.00.  Guess what I got from it.....NOTHING! After waiting 2 1/2 hours with Mathew, (technician???) and accomplishing NOTHING.  I told him he needed to delete the old programs, BEFORE trying to instlall new ones, YEP, I TOLD HIM what to do.  Is that right?? Just wasted 230.00Oh well, live and learn.  Never got anything done, I had enough. I will take the hit on the cash, and know in the future not to deal with AVast.  When you call "customer support", expect to told that you cannot talk to a "manager" sorry for your luck.

V
We're sorry you've encountered this mess.  Your best bet is to download Premier (it will save a lot of time) and then use this site to fully remove your old antivirus program:  http://www.avast.com/faq.php?article=AVKB11#artTitle  Likely you'll have issues downloading this file directly onto your affected system, so, again, download the file you need on another computer and transfer over.  Follow that vendor's instructions exactly and reboot when done.

Then install your downloaded Premier file after rebooting at least twice when removing your old a/v.  In other words, reboot twice to completely remove the old a/v and then install Premier.  Your internet connectivity issues are likely due to your expired a/v solution (Symantec is notorious for this) only whilst offline.  You can get the full file from here:   https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=157520.0

BTW, a good additional program to have to protect against USB malware is here:  http://www.mcshield.net/

Again, sorry for your troubles.  Help here is free.  You should report your issue to Adam Riley, but atm do not know what the direct link is.

Any further issues, please let us know.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.1.6099 (build 24.1.88821.762)  UI version 1.0.797
 UI version 1.0.788.  Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.2.6105 (build 24.1.8918.827) UI version 1.0.801

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2014, 11:35:49 PM »
The person to contact about third party support is  nekvapil [at] avast [dot] com

Please relate your experiences in minute detail to him.
For what it's worth none of us forum members recommend using the
third party support. They are not very knowledgeable about avast
and all they want to do is do a hard sell of their services.

The best help is right here on the forums and best of all the help we give is "free".
Please note we do not work for nor are we paid by avast. We are volunteers. Our
only reward is knowing we helped someone resolve their issues.
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2014, 11:38:33 PM »
Adam Riley is no longer with avast.

You should contact Vojta Nekvapil - 3rd Party support Manager - nekvapil (at) avast (dot) com and recount your experiences with the 3rd party support.

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2014, 11:53:00 PM »
@ DavidR   Thanks! I could never remember his name, just his email.
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.