Author Topic: Avast prevents the installation of Intel HAXM!!!  (Read 4508 times)

REDACTED

Avast prevents the installation of Intel HAXM!!!
« on: October 23, 2014, 06:06:06 PM »
Intel HAXM improves the speed of the Android Emulators for Android development. After I enabled the virtualization in my BIOS, I tried to install Intel HAXM on Windows 8.1... It wouldn't install ... So I found a forum and someone said that you need to uninstall Avast to install it then reinstall after you install Intel HAXM....

I did those steps and the installation of the Intel HAXM was successful. Why did Avast prevent this? It's by intel and it's causing people lots of problems... Please fix...

The name of the .exe program is: intelhaxm.exe

REDACTED

Re: Avast prevents the installation of Intel HAXM!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2014, 07:12:05 PM »
What version of Avast are you using?

What version of HAXM?

What Tools have you configured from Avast's options (look in the Programs & Features section).

Did you get any overt indications from Avast that something was being blocked?  If you DID see Avast actively blocking something - and it should tell you - then there are means for reporting false positives from the Virus Chest that provide the Avast folks all the info they need to correct the problem.  You haven't provided NEARLY enough information here.

Why would you uninstall the antivirus package entirely?  Why not just disable it temporarily?

-Noel

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2014, 07:28:10 PM »
I was using the last version. It didn't give me any indication that it was being blocked. I am using Intel HAXM Rev 5... The latest one in the SDK manager. I tried disabling temporarily but that didn't work. I luckily found a Intel forum, and someone said that they had to uninstall Avast. I did that and the installation was complete after I uninstalled it. Then I reinstalled Avast afterwards... the 2015 edition. I was using the 2014 edition 2 days ago when this happened.

I am doing a coursera course and I helped a few other people with the same problem. Here is a photo of the forums.

Thanks for helping!

pic of forums: (Widespread!)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_-lAAL1mo__ZGVrMjlYSnRrbGM/view?usp=sharing

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2014, 07:34:40 PM »
With the 2015 edition there is significant virtualization software installed by Avast, depending on whether you choose NG from the list of Tools Avast provides (it's enabled by default).  But since you say it was the 2014 edition that you had installed I guess that couldn't have interfered.

Sounds like you're past the problem now, but if you do have further issues try temporarily disabling the shields and/or altering the options, which are available through Programs & Features, and a "Change" operation on the Avast product.  Also look in the Virus Chest to see if something has been moved there.

-Noel

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2014, 07:38:22 PM »
Thanks! But others are still having problems though. I am going to ask if it's happening with the 2015 edition... Yep! (: