Author Topic: Spyware Doctor  (Read 5571 times)

gerrard

Spyware Doctor
« on: August 18, 2005, 02:17:52 PM »
Avast is blocking the "Auto Update" and "Auto Scan" settings within Spyware Doctor.

Is there a way to get around this problem?

Many Thanks

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Spyware Doctor
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2005, 02:31:02 PM »
Please provide the information that makes you think avast! is blocking these?

I strongly doubt that avast! is blocking anything, it is not designed to do that, only scan files that are accessed. It is what an on-access (resident) scanner does, this is not blocking. When I run AdAware or Spybot S&D I pause the Standard Shield provider so it doesn't scan the files that are being checked by my anti-spyware/adware programs.

Check your firewall settings and ensure that your Spyware DR auto update is allowed access to the internet.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

gerrard

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2005, 02:35:27 PM »
Because, When I turn off Avast, these functions work.

XP Home
W/Router

TIA

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2005, 02:47:59 PM »
Sorry but as I've said avast! doesn't block, just scans.
Are you saying your system slows to a crawl because two scanners are working at the same time (which can cause conflict and even a freeze), or nothing happens, or there are error messages (which avast! would display if it found anything) displayed (if so what) to indicate the problem?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

gerrard

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2005, 02:53:58 PM »
No, it just does not allow the Auto Update feature to start. This is a known problem for SD... and they even say to turn off any scanners to enable..... which of course is a pain in the arse. So I thought there might be a way for Avast to be loaded/settings to recognize this feature... as SD asks you to do.

TIA

gerrard

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2005, 03:02:06 PM »
From SpyWare Doctor's FAQ:

The problem you are experiencing is generally due to one of the following three reasons:

No Internet connection - please ensure you are connected to the Internet when attempting to perform a Live Update.

Firewall / Proxy Server blockage - you may need to temporarily disable your firewall or proxy server to perform Live Update, as these could interpret the Spyware Doctor's update function as a malicious process. If possible, place Spyware Doctor's 'liveupdate.exe' on your firewall or proxy server's 'Allowed Processes' list. This will allow you to run future Live Updates with your firewall or proxy server enabled.

Virus Scanner interference - you may need to temporarily disable your virus scanner to perform a Live Update, as these could determine the download as an attempt to infect your computer with a virus. Please remember to re-enable your Virus Scanner when Live Update has completed.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2005, 03:56:19 PM »
Virus Scanner interference - you may need to temporarily disable your virus scanner to perform a Live Update, as these could determine the download as an attempt to infect your computer with a virus. Please remember to re-enable your Virus Scanner when Live Update has completed.
Can't Spyware Doctor be added to the avast! exclusions lists instead of disabling avast?
The best things in life are free.

gerrard

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2005, 04:09:00 PM »
How does one edit the "avast! exclusions lists"

Thanka kindly

gerrard

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2005, 05:20:03 PM »
OK, I found the "exclusions file", and entered:   http/www.pctools.com

The Auto Features now seem to work.... but I will check tomorrow.

Thanks