Author Topic: Can't opt out of information sharing with Avast  (Read 5838 times)

REDACTED

Can't opt out of information sharing with Avast
« on: November 13, 2014, 06:20:47 PM »
When I updated to the 2015 version of Avast, something happened that involved Avast killing my internet connection whenever shields were up. A quick uninstall-reinstall did the trick but since completely uninstalling and reinstalling the client, I've had to change all of my settings back to the way I want them. In doing so, I've realized that there no longer seems to be an option to stop Avast from collecting information about me despite the fact that the installation wizard has a whole panel devoted to its information collection and how it can be turned off in-client. However, I can't find the option to opt out. Where has it been moved to?

Offline midnight

• Massive Poster
Re: Can't opt out of information sharing with Avast
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2014, 06:27:55 PM »
Have you looked in General settings? 
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 06:29:36 PM by -midnight »

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2014, 06:32:27 PM »
Have you looked in General settings?

Yes. It's not there.

EDIT: I haven't used the free version of Avast in a while, as I pay for the Internet Security version. If there are differences in the layout of their clients, as there is (or used to be) in the free and premium versions of programs such as Malwarebytes, I wouldn't know.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 06:37:36 PM by kroe1993 »

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2014, 06:57:32 PM »
I'm not really sure what area of information you are concerned about - but for the most part any information is anonymous.

The 'Participate avast in the Avast community' is in the General Settings as mentioned - this is geared up to help improve detections, etc. from your use of avast.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2014, 06:59:46 PM »
If you mean "not" allowing avast to "track" your internet usage? Not possible.
Avast has the right (see the EULA) to use "non-personal" information. All anti virus
vendors do this to improve the protection they provide. And that information is
confidential and is not shared outside those who need to know.

To opt-out of the avast community...GUI>General>untick the box.

Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

REDACTED

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2014, 07:10:28 PM »
If you mean "not" allowing avast to "track" your internet usage? Not possible.
Avast has the right (see the EULA) to use "non-personal" information. All anti virus
vendors do this to improve the protection they provide. And that information is
confidential and is not shared outside those who need to know.

I'm aware of that, and no, that wasn't what I meant. I've read the EULA. As a matter of principle, I opt out of any and all data collection with any program that has collection set to "on" by default, regardless of whether or not the information is provided anonymously.

@DavidR

Thanks.