Author Topic: Avast killed my keyboard when I upgraded to Pro  (Read 15431 times)

REDACTED

Avast killed my keyboard when I upgraded to Pro
« on: October 25, 2014, 05:59:16 AM »
Okay, I upgraded from Avast Free to Pro on my old PC a while back, no issues whatsoever. 

But now, I got a new case, motherboard, CPU, RAM, PSU and mouse, and after a clean install of my old OS and then installing Avast Free, I signed into my Avast account (keyboard working the entire time) and upgraded to Pro with my previously purchased license.... and my keyboard stopped working after reboot. 

I couldn't upgrade the drivers, and uninstall/reinstall keyboard and reboot didn't fix it.  Device Manager was giving me a corrupt Registry key error for the keyboard.  After some  research, I found that deleting the UpperFilters key under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E96B-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} can resolve the issue (along with many other similar issues for other devices).  After doing that, the keyboard was then recognized by Device Manager as working fine, but the keyboard was still not working.  Again, uninstall/reinstall/reboot/etc...nothing fixed it.  It showed the drivers being installed successfully and would say the device is working and ready to use...but it still wasn't working.

So I system restore to directly after clean Windows install.  Everything is working.  I install Avast, keyboard working... upgrade to Pro, keyboard stops working.  I uninstall Avast... keyboard works fine.  What is going on??? Why is Pro killing my keyboard??  Why was it fine on my old hardware upgraded to Pro in the exact same fashion?  If I can't find a resolution here, I hope I can get a refund...

For what its worth, specs-
New:
Gigabyte 970A-UD3P
AMD FX-6300 Vishera 6-Core 3.5GHz (4.1GHz Turbo)
Corsair Vengeance 8GB PC12800 DDR3 1600MHz 2x4GB
Corsair CX430
SteelSeries Rival

Migrated:
Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB SSD
PowerColor ATi Radeon HD 5770
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

REDACTED

Re: Avast killed my keyboard when I upgraded to Pro
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2014, 05:21:44 PM »
Yeah it's really weird, i also got exactly the same problem with my premier Avast subscription and brand new keyboard. I update my avast to premium, then avast wants the computer to restart. When the computer has restarted my keyboard won't type, nothing works. I can press F8 to enter Bios though, but thats it, afterward i have to reinstall Windows, thats the only option! What should I do? I want to use my premium Avast that I paid for!

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2014, 08:33:28 PM »
Well after talking to a couple more seasoned IT friends, they both recommend no 3rd party antivirus.  One has never used anything, ever...never had an issue.  The other uses MS Security Essentials.  I am now using MS Security Essentials for the time being, pending more research.  You can still use Avast Free... its just Pro that is jacking things up.  But at this point, after a system restore and a couple clean Windows installs, there's no way I'm using Avast anymore unless somehow Avast Free is proven to be the best antivirus out there.  I would love a refund, but whatever I guess.  Not worth my time. 

Offline pk

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2014, 11:02:47 PM »
Hi, thanks for your bug report.
There's probably a bug in Free -> Pro upgrade. Can you please install Free, upgrade to Pro (don't reboot) and then:
1. run regedit.exe (go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System)
2. File -> Export (Save As Win9x/NT) and save the file
3. Please compress this file (zip/rar/7z) and upload the file on our ftp? (in Explorer, open ftp://ftp.avast.com and Drag & Drop the file there.
4. You can also run http://public.avast.com/supp/util/avastsupport.exe tool to upload setup log
5. Now you can uninstall avast (or remove that entry from UpperClass)
Thanks a lot!
« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 11:14:38 PM by pk »

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2014, 03:20:33 AM »
on my post from the 24th -- https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=157891.0 ,
I noticed that installing the 30 day Pro Trial, THEN inserting the activation prevents the issue from happening.

REDACTED

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2014, 05:22:52 PM »
Any new info on this?

REDACTED

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2014, 08:37:02 PM »
Having similar issues.   Avast has caused several big problems for me in the last month.   Fortunately I did a system image before installing this time and recovered back to free Avast.  Now I want to know how to move forward without locking up my laptop keyboard.

REDACTED

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2014, 09:03:38 PM »
Hello developers of Avast company !!! So the upgrade to 2015, you manage excellently !!! After installing avast free on my 2015 NB stops working keyboard. Mam dysfunctional NB who use daily at work.(win8.1) Good job avast !!!  >:(
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 09:07:44 PM by bublinka21 »

REDACTED

Upgrade from Free doesn't work
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2014, 05:19:04 PM »
I just ran across this thread. Haven't tried anything Avast! related yet but I got here by downloading and installing the Free version from cNet then entering my 10 computer, home license into Avast!.

I had a weird sequence of windows open up but couldn't do anything with them. After about an hour - mostly with Avast! sitting while I was doing other things - one of the windows said Avast! had to reboot so I did. Then I lost the keyboard completely. Fortunately there's no login password. I also get a window opening saying my firewall is off and it presents a button to turn it on. It reflects a down-click but doesn't actually do anything.

Here's more on the environment:
The Keyboard drivers show an error and when I looked, it says that the drivers are Avast! drivers.
I uninstalled McAfee but hadn't yet done a full registry and other manual cleanup.
I also uninstalled SUPER[something] antivirus
The computer also includes the Conduit crapware along with at least one other toolbar

I assume I can fix this myself from here but I hope this info helps others. This is a real DUMB problem! Taking over the keyboard drivers. Avast! - you may have ruined some marriages. Please think a little more so you don't become like so many others.

REDACTED

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2014, 01:48:24 AM »
I just want to say that I have this exact problem. Downloading Avast 2015 and inserting my license file causes my keyboard and mouse to both not work on the next reboot. This is a brand new version of Windows, so nothing else is the problem. Uninstalling avast instantly fixes the issue

I'd like to be able to use the program I'm paying for, is there any fix?

Offline James149

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2014, 01:50:51 AM »
Exact same problem. I just setup a new computer. Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit. Added free Avast and then inserted my activation key to pro and my keyboard went bye bye. Man I've been sitting here for hours reading one forum after another and trying one thing after another before I stumbled upon this thread. I wasn't sure what caused the problem, but now I know it was Avast because that was the last thing done before the keyboard stopped working.

So what's the official word on this?

Offline James149

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2014, 02:14:33 AM »
Pedro Hin's solution did work. Uninstalled and then downloaded the 30 day trial instead of free and inserted my activation key during install. Everything worked after that.

Thanks for posting that Pedro Hin....wish I had found this SOONER! Would have saved me time and my sanity!!!

REDACTED

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2014, 08:41:58 PM »
Hi there!
Same here! I am stuck with a useless PC... no mouse, no keyboard...
Same modus operandi: installed the free version, then upgraded to Pro. After required reboot, I am stuck at the login screen with no input device... (ok, there is the visual keyboard, but man, that is painful.. ) What's next please? Anyone?
Cheers,

REDACTED

« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2014, 12:07:21 PM »
Hopefully on the right thread now..
I have the same issue - upgraded to the free 2015, responded yes to a window suggesting speeding up my PC by removing useless programs etc. After reboot, keboard now doesn't work (standard usb connected). As I have a password on it... renders the whole thing useless. Fabulous after just spending 2 hours doing the books for my husband's business. Not happy.
Any suggestions on how I might be able to go back to a previous restore point given I can't even sign on? Would that even work?

REDACTED

« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2014, 01:07:22 PM »
Resolved my problem. Will post here in case it helps anyone else.
Discovered the keyboard works before it gets to the point of loading windows, so interrupted a reboot by pressing & holding the power key whilst Windows was loading. Hit the power button to start up again and it took me to the window for starting in safe mode due the previous interrupted startup - keyboard works at this stage fortunately, so selected safe mode, then restore to an earlier point. Restored to the day before I ran the stupid Avast cleanup.
Now uninstalling Avast completely.