Author Topic: Avast killed my keyboard when I upgraded to Pro  (Read 15435 times)

REDACTED

Re: Avast killed my keyboard when I upgraded to Pro
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2014, 06:00:38 PM »
I have just had this same issue today, two issues here:

1. I don't know how to (or want to) start doing this (pk) ...

>>> Hi, thanks for your bug report.
>>> There's probably a bug in Free -> Pro upgrade. Can you please install Free, upgrade to Pro (don't reboot) and then:
>>> 1. run regedit.exe (go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System)
>>> 2. File -> Export (Save As Win9x/NT) and save the file
>>> 3. Please compress this file (zip/rar/7z) and upload the file on our ftp? (in Explorer, open ftp://ftp.avast.com and Drag & Drop the >>> file there.
>>> 4. You can also run http://public.avast.com/supp/util/avastsupport.exe tool to upload setup log
>>> 5. Now you can uninstall avast (or remove that entry from UpperClass)
>>> Thanks a lot!

You REALLY expect normal (non techy) people to actually do this to solve a (clearly) well known Avast software problem. Why haven't Avast sorted this???

2. I called the "customer support" for help line who logged in, simply brought up the Reliability Monitor in Control Panel, said "look your PC is in a terrible state" (which it isn't) and then wanted to SELL me the services of their engineer to clear this up. Unbelievable - Avast same sales tactics as those dodgy tradesmen you get knocking at the door, very poor.

REDACTED

« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2014, 06:47:01 PM »
If you can get into Safe Mode (via post #14 above) or by tapping F8 key right after boot machine logo and before Windows Logo then go to a system restore point that was prior to issue.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/start-system-restore-command-prompt#1TC=windows-7

Another option is to use the On-Screen-Keyboard to login to normal Windows.
To open the OSK from the sign-in screen, tap or click the Ease of Access button in the lower-left corner of the sign-in screen, and then tap or click On-Screen Keyboard. From there obviously use your moue to select login PW keys
From there you can do a system restore point or Avast clean un/reinstall (see my signature for How-To).
« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 06:48:39 PM by thekochs »

REDACTED

« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2015, 10:42:53 PM »
Since no one working for Avast is even attempting to fix this issue, I'll contribute a working fix for this problem. Just uninstall this sorry excuse for an antivirus program and go with something else. As soon as I uninstalled Avast Pro, my keyboard suddenly worked again. Imagine, having the ineptitude to create a program with this defect, actually charging people for the idiocy involved in distributing the software without testing it, then, in maintaining Avast's lack of intelligence, simply ignore the problem. Sheer incompetence Avast! Well done and thank you for teaching me that my choice to invest in your Pro version for once was clearly a bad decision. Money well wasted. I'll be sure to warn my friends and family away from the trash you apparently now produce.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2015, 04:45:22 AM »
BesTech,

the problem with keyboard/mouse has already been solved months ago.
It seems that you are using a old version of avast.