Author Topic: IP Blocking of sites and downloads  (Read 2779 times)

REDACTED

IP Blocking of sites and downloads
« on: October 27, 2014, 10:54:27 AM »
Hello to all forum members,

Does anyone know if avast (all versions) have IP blocking features?
Meaning allowing to go to a certain site or download from a certain site according to a black list of IP's.

Thanks,
Avi

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: IP Blocking of sites and downloads
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2014, 02:33:19 PM »
All versions have the webshield where you can choose to allow/block certain sites.

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2014, 11:36:36 AM »
Thanks Eddy,

I am aware of the webshield site blocking capabilities, but does avast have a list of black listed ip's so it can block according to ip address and not according to domains. If so, how can I report an IP address or white list an ip address locally.

Thanks,
Avi

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2014, 02:29:10 PM »
Hi,
avast has a list of IP addresses (large one) that are blocked. Currently I don't think users are able to whitelist or add custom IP's to this list. If some site is blocked by IP address only you should be able to add this IP as a part of the URL into the Exclusion list and you'll prevent the virus block. In case avast blocks it by IP and also by domain name, you'll have to add both of these entries into the Exclusion list.

Site blocking however would kick in only if you would access the site by IP only.

Why do you think you would need that? Aren't URL blocking/exceptions usable for you? We might consider improving on this.

Thanks.
Lukas.