Author Topic: How does Avast make money?  (Read 14373 times)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: How does Avast make money?
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2005, 04:31:32 PM »
Yeah it kinda is. To be honest, I really find it disturbing to hear people (and even IT professionals) state that only the paid antivirus programs are to be trusted. Yesterday I had a client that had over 200 virus infections on his pc, using AVG. The "IT professional" that was there too kept blaming AVG. I said it's simply NOT true that AVG was the reason for the infection, but simply the way AVG was setup (no auto updates). I recommended the client to install Avast (or a new version of AVG for that matter) but he didn't believe me and insisted on buying Norton AV2005.

That is also the reason for this thread, because this client kept asking me: "well, if Avast is that good, why do the makers send it out for free? How can they make money like this, while Norton and McAfee earn millions of dollars by distributing their AV programs in boxes. There's no way Avast can spend as much money in R&D as McAfee/Norton do...".

I also kept reminding this client that Norton and McAfee (while not being bad at all) usually take up way more resources than Avast does, but NOOOO, it HAD to be a paid AV, because the free ones are simply 'rubbish'.
Well you could offer him the reasurance of the paid for avast! Pro Version ;D, then he could be happy in the security of having paid for his AV solution.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Dwarden

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Ideas, that's ocean without borders!
    • Bohemia Interactive
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2005, 07:14:18 PM »
It's rarely known McAfee used Avast engine in past in own AV (before buying Sophos)....

Also , just look at other companies ... they have these "web" scanners ... (e.g. Kaspersky, McAfee, PandaSoftware etc) ... they in fact are "like" free AV  edition...

the whole point is ... most of Home users can't affort to pay "expensive" licences for "just AV" ...
either the price must be low or none ... 90% of world population is not in "rich" status ...

free products are also excelent testbed for companies ... they can "see" what people demand and then re-implement this for profi users and company usage ... experience is what matter !

Czech companies are widely known for this approach and see :) it works :)

https://twitter.com/FoltynD , Tech. Community, Online Services & Distribution manager of Bohemia Interactive

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2005, 07:52:17 PM »
HAD to be a paid AV, because the free ones are simply 'rubbish'.
Guess it's hard to convince a customer who alreade made up his mind right?
Well, if the customers are HOME and NON-COMMERCIAL I think if they test avast! they will be convinced  :)
It's a question of love at first glance  8)
The best things in life are free.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2005, 07:52:55 PM »
BitDefender 7 and now 8 (although only On-Demand scanner)
RejZoR, can we use version 8 as a non-resident scanner for free?

Spyros

« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2005, 09:52:10 PM »
BitDefender 7 and now 8 (although only On-Demand scanner)
RejZoR, can we use version 8 as a non-resident scanner for free?
I'm not RejZor, but the answer is yes. The free version has been updated to 8, because they will soon release the (official) commercial version 9. Here is the link: http://www.bitdefender.com/PRODUCT-14-en--BitDefender-8-Free-Edition.html

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2005, 10:05:08 PM »
Thanks, Spyros, I'll take a look  :)