Author Topic: Not enough free disk space when I have more than 400 MB free.  (Read 15869 times)

REDACTED

Re: Not enough free disk space when I have more than 400 MB free.
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2014, 04:28:17 PM »
... I'm running this on a tablet that I believe only has a 32GB SSD, and I have a lot of stuff on there that I'd rather not remove.

With todays SSD you do not need to have that much free space, but still you need some for the system and programs to work.

If Avast was working before and the new Avast give you this alert you need to review Bob3160's advice above ( Reply # 2 and # 4 ). Run avastclear.exe and then reinstall Avast choosing Custom Install. In Tools uncheck NG.
Sorry for the late reply but I just tried running Avast Clear and it didn't help..,

Did you choose custom installation ? Did you uncheck " NG " ? Check Bob3160' video on How to install Avast!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kTqm7P1KtU&feature=youtu.be

Remember we are working on the assumption that there is no freespace left for Avast 2015 to install NG.
Yes, I already said I unchecked everything except File Shield, Software Updater, and the English language.

REDACTED

« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2014, 07:25:59 PM »
You need to start considering that you cannot do anything useful with a Windows system with less than 1GB of free space on the drive.  It's no one's fault but your own that you bought a system with too little space to be usable.

-Noel

REDACTED

« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2014, 12:37:46 AM »
You need to start considering that you cannot do anything useful with a Windows system with less than 1GB of free space on the drive.  It's no one's fault but your own that you bought a system with too little space to be usable.

-Noel

Agreed. Something in Avast 2015 does detect that you are going to have less than 1GB free space in the SSD after installation and is warning you.

Offline davexnet

• Poster
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2014, 06:44:45 AM »
Same thing happened to me, older system, Windows XP, 14GB partition, 1900MB free.

Custom install, File & Network shield, English language.  Would not install, same error as above.

Reverted to avast 2014.  I opened a ticket with avast, asking if this was an installer error.
The response was unintelligible, asked me to run the default install and not to customize it at all.
Sounds as if the responder had not read/understood the point at all.

AMD FX-4300 4GB DDR3
avast free 2279 (Windows XP), MBAM free

Offline BanditQuest

« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2014, 09:24:44 PM »
Same thing happened to me, older system, Windows XP, 14GB partition, 1900MB free.
Did you guys not notice "MASTER260" had 1.2GB free that is heaps to run an installer.  I had 1.1GB free and it STILL SAID NOT ENOUGH - well that is crap - my machine runs just fine with 500MB free because it is tuned and runs a lean custom win XP OS setup.  Avast seems to be coding check 10% of drive free instead of checking 400, 800, 1GB free or whatever min free space is really needed.  I had to clear 3GB just to run the installer and it only used 386MB, so a 4TB drive will need 400GB free just to run the installer? That is  unbelievable overkill and stupidity IMHO.  If you want to be this specify it on min system requirement section so we know exactly how much space REALLY needs to be free to run the INSTALLER. If AVAST is coding 10% of drive free say so in product specs. 

You probably loose customers for forcing a 3GB minimum there, as their are other AV products that provide a smoother install experience and don't need 3GB of free space.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 12:25:08 PM by BanditQuest »

REDACTED

« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2015, 05:28:26 PM »
Definitely not a percentage. I run WinXP quite happily on an 7.4GB drive with room to spare. I recieved this error with 1.8GB free space. That's 24% free space. I disabled hibernation to boost free space to over 3GB and it installed fine. Re-enabling hibernation still left me with 1.3GB free. So.... it only needed .5GB with the options I chose but still demanded 2GB+ (possibly 3GB?) before installing?

Wow. Hard-coded to require 4-6x the drive space it would actually use. I thought Windows was bad...

Offline davexnet

• Poster
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2015, 11:25:04 PM »
Notice how the installer message does not tell you how much it actually needs (why?)
In my own test, 2GB is required before the installer is happy.
AMD FX-4300 4GB DDR3
avast free 2279 (Windows XP), MBAM free