Author Topic: Your router is vulnerable to hacker attacks  (Read 12275 times)

Offline Sorzy

Re: Your router is vulnerable to hacker attacks
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2014, 01:42:39 AM »
I got the same result for my laptop which runs Windows 7 and is connected to the router wirelessly. The desktop that's running XP and is connected wirlessly passed with flying colors however. But then Windows 7 being better and more secure likely sees the vulnerability and XP doesn't.

I do have a slightly older modem/router and plan on upgrading.

Anyhow, just wanted to let you know you aren't alone. Just remember you have to change the settings in the router/modem. And change it to a more secure setting. Like WPA-2 or WPA-PSK/ Then remember you have to change everything connected to it to the same thing. At least that's how it was explained to me and unless I misunderstood something. But it's why if I have to do that, I'm going to get a new model.router and not have to worry about it. And thay is only if I keep Avast and don't ask for a REFUND because of another issue that I can't seem to get resolved.

Good luck.

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2014, 08:43:06 AM »
And thay is only if I keep Avast and don't ask for a REFUND because of another issue that I can't seem to get resolved.

Hi Sorzy, I'm sorry for your problems with avast, that make you think about refunds - but the detected ROM0 router vulnerability is there (on your router) with avast or not. It is ok for avast or for us here at Avast company if you know your router is vulnerable and choose to ignore it. Or maybe ignore it just for this moment, or don't ignore it at all and double check your router is not accessible from the net, and your Wifi is secured properly, so that the attack surface for this vulnerability is the smallest possible. What is also recommended is always use Sign-out button when leaving your router interface (not just closing the browser), so that Cross-Site scripting/request forgery is less possible.

Just wanted to let you have the information - thats why we added the feature, it's up to you.

Cheers,
Lukas.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2014, 11:05:26 AM »
Thanks Lukor.
The best things in life are free.

Offline N@URINE

« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2014, 10:26:19 PM »
Thank you Sorzy, this can interest you, too: I was told that there was security problem and it solved with the latest firmware, and there's also a way on how to fix it. it has to do with remotely access function:
take a look : http://www.tp-link.com/en/article/?faqid=569
NourinE

Offline Sorzy

« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2014, 05:43:09 AM »
And thay is only if I keep Avast and don't ask for a REFUND because of another issue that I can't seem to get resolved.

Hi Sorzy, I'm sorry for your problems with avast, that make you think about refunds - but the detected ROM0 router vulnerability is there (on your router) with avast or not. It is ok for avast or for us here at Avast company if you know your router is vulnerable and choose to ignore it. Or maybe ignore it just for this moment, or don't ignore it at all and double check your router is not accessible from the net, and your Wifi is secured properly, so that the attack surface for this vulnerability is the smallest possible. What is also recommended is always use Sign-out button when leaving your router interface (not just closing the browser), so that Cross-Site scripting/request forgery is less possible.

Just wanted to let you have the information - thats why we added the feature, it's up to you.

Cheers,
Lukas.

Don't get me wrong, I like that feature. The scan your network feature that is. It brought something to my attention I wasn't aware of let alone thinking of. Or even concerned with. When I looked into it, I saw how I'm connected is an older less secure way as newer better encrypted options have become available in recent/past years.

And also don't get me wrong as far as the refund consideration. I like Avast and why I've had it for the past 3 years for 3 pc's. But because I've been dealing with a problem, that for some strange reason, no one else seems to have, having or dealing with, I'm just very frustrated and fed up. I like Avast and what it has to offer. A little bummed that what I had/got with last years subscription (automatic software updater), is now part of the newer version and extra money.

If I could only get the problem, of a specific website not opening properly, resolved, I wouldn't want a refund. I mean, the problem I'm having with this particular website started back last year when Avast upgraded to version 2014. So, for slightly more then a year I've been dealing with this and having to disable all webshields just to get this website to open and work properly. And no one, no system should have to do or have that done just to get a website to open properly. Those things I have to disable are their to protect me, or rather, my computers.

Anyhow, as I said, there's a lot I like with and about Avast. But this one thing, this one irritation,  for me, is over-riding all the good about it.