Author Topic: Big setup files are always checked by Avast :-(  (Read 1835 times)

Offline cska133

Big setup files are always checked by Avast :-(
« on: October 22, 2014, 11:36:26 PM »
I have some install files backed up on my laptop.
why Avast checks always this big setup files? This makes the whole system very slow  >:( I am not executing them, only open the folder where they are stored.
as I underdstand the settings the files should be first scanned by Avast components when modifying or executing them. But I am not doing anything like this , but just open the folder ..... and the system freeses almost because of Avast.

any help?
thanks
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 11:41:19 PM by cska133 »

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
Re: Setup files are always checked by Avast :-(
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2014, 11:46:40 PM »
Use the default settings for "packers" in each of your scans.
It sounds as if you may be scanning files which don't need to be scanned.
That is the one setting I never tweak.

One more thing you may be scanning some very large files try...
GUI>Settings>Active Protection>File Shield (click on the "customize" button)>Sensitivity>untick the box.
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Setup files are always checked by Avast :-(
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2014, 11:46:50 PM »
I would have to ask why it is scanning them also, unless you are running an on-demand scan, otherwise these files should be dormant.

Do you have any other applications that may be accessing these files (as avast shouldn't be scanning for no reason) ?

If these files are for backup purposes, you could possibly create a new folder 'Installation-setup-files' or some other meaningful name and exclude it from being scanned. Since there is a risk in doing this, you have to be certain what you put in there is 100% clean. Before doing this you should have fully investigated what I mentioned first.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline cska133

Re: Big setup files are always checked by Avast :-(
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2014, 10:27:09 PM »
in the FileShield i have on purpose "Scan all Archive Files", but I am talking about exe files, so this shouldnt be the reason.
The sensitivity was/is unticked.

I would have to ask why it is scanning them also, unless you are running an on-demand scan, otherwise these files should be dormant.
Do you have any other applications that may be accessing these files (as avast shouldn't be scanning for no reason) ?
no, no scan is running. And no, no other apps should access them.
When I open some folder with some bigger files, for some time I dont see the icon of the files, the system gets slow and I see in the Avast Statistics that the files in the folder are scanned although I dont have tuched them ???