Author Topic: Websites not being trusted with avast 2015, any suggestions ?  (Read 20625 times)

REDACTED

Websites not being trusted with avast 2015, any suggestions ?
« on: October 28, 2014, 01:43:27 AM »
After updating to avast 2015 all of my internet browsers are getting an error message about the certificate not being trusted for common websites including https://www.google.com , https://www.facebook.com , https://www.avast.com , https://www.mozilla.org , through help at the mozilla.org website i have learned the problem is being caused by my avast pro antivirus and online security programs, i continue to get the error message, please reply , thank you

"This Connection is Untrusted

You have asked Firefox to connect securely to my.avast.com, but we can't confirm that your connection is secure.

Normally, when you try to connect securely, sites will present trusted identification to prove that you are going to the right place. However, this site's identity can't be verified.
What Should I Do?

If you usually connect to this site without problems, this error could mean that someone is trying to impersonate the site, and you shouldn't continue.

my.avast.com uses an invalid security certificate. The certificate is not trusted because the issuer certificate is unknown. (Error code: sec_error_unknown_issuer)"

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Websites not being trusted with avast 2015, any suggestions ?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2014, 02:37:08 AM »
Disable https scanning till avast has a fix for it.

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2014, 07:17:23 PM »
I just updated my Avast Premier to 2015 today and apparently I had the same issue. I'm glad that someone posted the same concern. I've followed Eddy's suggestion and my web browsers were able to function well.  I temporarily disabled the HTTPS scanning feature in the Web Shield setting.
Thank you so much, it was really helpful. I hope the Avast team will fix this soon.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2014, 07:48:10 PM »
It is fixed - The disabling of HTTPS work around by Eddy that you folowed has been resolved in the latest avast 2015 SP1 10.0.2208 version.

So I would suggest you do a manual program update from the avastUI, once done you should be able to resume HTTPS scanning.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2014, 05:10:25 PM »
Hello DavidR, thank you for your reply.  As you've suggested, I tried to update the program itself to the current version: 2015.10.0.2208 and resumed once again its HTTPS scanning service.
However, I visited numerous social networking websites and Mozilla Firefox keeps on saying: "This connection is untrusted." Whilst in Google Chrome, it could either load mere texts or hyperlinks except images and javascripts.
I've also reboot my PC just to be certain of the outcome. Moreover, I even made sure that both of my web browsers are up to date and cleared all the cache & cookies. Sadly, it doesn't solve the issue at all... (well, for me). I don't have any better options than to temporarily disable it. I wonder if I'm the only one experiencing the same problem at this very moment. Anyway, I'll try to update this thread once my web browsing experience goes back to normal.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 05:16:18 PM by Minako »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2014, 08:49:03 PM »
Well if the message is coming from firefox it is unconnected with avast. a screenshot of the message window (cropped to see just relevant data) might help to pin down what is causing the message.

Firefox uses a safebrowsing function that alerts on sites in its database - interestingly this database is based on google safe browsing.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

REDACTED

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2014, 09:32:23 PM »
 >:(I am having the same problems. I also have problems with Grime Fighter. My computer doesn't work the way it should I spent time and money on this. Grime Fighter .

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2014, 09:42:27 PM »
>:(I am having the same problems. I also have problems with Grime Fighter. My computer doesn't work the way it should I spent time and money on this. Grime Fighter .
GrimeFighter forum section found here  https://forum.avast.com/?board=44.0

Offline vojtech

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2014, 01:17:52 PM »
If you have the sec_error_unknown_issuer error in Firefox, please add mode details: what version of Firefox and what Windows do you use.
Thanks.

REDACTED

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2014, 05:52:34 PM »
Well if the message is coming from firefox it is unconnected with avast. a screenshot of the message window (cropped to see just relevant data) might help to pin down what is causing the message.

Firefox uses a safebrowsing function that alerts on sites in its database - interestingly this database is based on google safe browsing.

If you have the sec_error_unknown_issuer error in Firefox, please add mode details: what version of Firefox and what Windows do you use.
Thanks.

I'm using Windows 8.1 (Windows Blue) OS. Just like what I've said, both of my web browsers are up to date and disabled unnecessary plug-ins and extensions. Once again I activated the HTTPS scanning service to see the outcome. Here are my screen-shots:

In Mozilla Firefox (33.0.3), I was trying to access https://www.facebook.com and here's the result:

(Please click the thumbnail above to see the full image)

On the other hand, this is what I get in Google Chrome (38.0.2125.111):
I was trying to access https://twitter.com homepage but as you can see it couldn't load properly. It turned out like a text-based web browser and unable to load javascripts and images.

(Please click the thumbnail above to see the full image)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2014, 07:24:07 PM »
The first image certainly looks like the firefox safe browsing notification - why that would be the case (or correct) for facebook would seem very strange.

Perhaps vojtech (avast team) is on the right track.

REDACTED

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2014, 05:35:56 PM »
I'm seeing the same error message (sec_error_unknown_issuer) on Firefox 33.1 using Avast Internet 2015.10.0.2208 on ALL https sites and discovered a workaround that MAY be the intended mode of operation:

I exported the Avast Mail Shield SSL certificate, imported it into the Firefox certification authorities, and then edited the trust settings of the cert to allow it to "identify web sites."
If I keep Avast HTTPS scanning enabled but then disable the trust of the imported "Avast! Web/Mail Shield Root" cert, I can always replicate the Firefox error message on HTTPS sites.

I checked the Chrome Browser and see no error messages when going to HTTPS sites. However, I noted that Chrome already has the Avast! Root cert in it's collection. I didn't deliberately import it, so perhaps Avast inserted it correctly in Chrome but not in Firefox?

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2014, 07:03:46 PM »
I'm seeing the same error message (sec_error_unknown_issuer) on Firefox 33.1 using Avast Internet 2015.10.0.2208 on ALL https sites and discovered a workaround that MAY be the intended mode of operation:

I exported the Avast Mail Shield SSL certificate, imported it into the Firefox certification authorities, and then edited the trust settings of the cert to allow it to "identify web sites."
If I keep Avast HTTPS scanning enabled but then disable the trust of the imported "Avast! Web/Mail Shield Root" cert, I can always replicate the Firefox error message on HTTPS sites.

I checked the Chrome Browser and see no error messages when going to HTTPS sites. However, I noted that Chrome already has the Avast! Root cert in it's collection. I didn't deliberately import it, so perhaps Avast inserted it correctly in Chrome but not in Firefox?

Hi,
the way how HTTPS scanning works absolutely requires every browser to have our certificate in its trusted list ( yes it is this one:  "Avast! Web/Mail Shield Root" )

So the fix, you've just performed is completely correct and the resulting state is exactly how it should be.

For chrome/IE we insert the certificate into the system store - that's why it works. For firefox, we insert the certificate into the firefox private store during the start of the browsers.
So the problem here is why it fails on your PC.

L.