Author Topic: Update popups no longer shows after 2015 update  (Read 23717 times)

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
Re: Update popups no longer shows after 2015 update
« Reply #45 on: November 13, 2014, 07:38:35 PM »
Yes, I also was much more comfortable with the notifications of updates received.
400 to 500 times a day ??? If it happens, you might get tired of it very quickly. :)
<snip URL>

Not 400-500 times a day but as it was, just for the VPS Auto updates, not streaming updates.

Yes David, exactly.
Whatever, its just another of the many changes, personally I didn't think there was that kind of support for "no update notice" to cause/result in this change,

REDACTED

« Reply #46 on: November 13, 2014, 08:55:52 PM »

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #47 on: November 14, 2014, 01:51:50 PM »
It always amazes me why there are so many people who have a problem with accepting change.
Yes, for the past 10 years I've listened to the update reminder but, if I turned it off,
the VPS updates still happened. It's very simple to just hover your mouse on the Avast system tray
icon and find out that your fully protected.
Time marches on and as it does, things change. We now have TV, I remember when Radio was our entertainment. :)
We now drive a car, I remember a horse and buggy.  :)

Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Super(massive black hole) Poster
« Reply #48 on: November 14, 2014, 03:40:50 PM »
What you say makes perfect sense Bob, especially for users of the free version... but if Avast is serious about retaining paying customers, it's worth considering that for the most part, people don't decide to part company with their cash for reasons that make sense.  ;)

Example: When GM bought SAAB, they knew that some people will keep buying SAABs because of their particular quirks, like having the ignition key on the floor, so even though having it there no longer served it's original purpose, they didn't move it.

So many people have told me how they miss the voice/popup announcement. Yes, it no longer serves its original purpose but for them it's a nerdy talking point - their computer suddenly announces the update out loud. They see it as part of the Avast "brand".
They may choose to renew or not renew their AIS licenses for any number of reasons. I for one, am not in favour of unnecessarily giving them another reason not to.

« Last Edit: November 14, 2014, 04:49:32 PM by Vladimyr »
There is a way that seems right to a man,
       but in the end it leads to death
.” - Proverbs 16:25

REDACTED

« Reply #49 on: November 14, 2014, 03:48:30 PM »
Yes Bob. Some people don't like change, others do, and others get used it. May be Avast doesn't need the twice VPS alert, but people do. It was the Avast trade mark for many users and they want it back. Me too BTW ;)

Offline skinnypops

• backup, backup, backup
« Reply #50 on: November 14, 2014, 04:07:58 PM »
hi all

because it more often than not simply carried ads rather than actual update announcement, i, for one, am very pleased it's gone.
that's my humble opinion. it's easy enough to manually check update version manually if you feel the need.

skinnypops
new HP , amd a10-8700p quad core @ 1.8 gig radeon r6 graphics ,dedicated radeon r8 2gb graphics card, 8 gig ddr3-1600 memory, 1 tb hdd, win 10x64 home 1607 build 14393.1066, avast free 17.3.2291,  windows firewall, mbae free, mbam free, open dns, cryptoprevent, mcshield, paragon bu & recovery 2015,system explorer

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #51 on: November 14, 2014, 04:52:36 PM »
It always amazes me why there are so many people who have a problem with accepting change.
Yes, for the past 10 years I've listened to the update reminder but, if I turned it off,
the VPS updates still happened. It's very simple to just hover your mouse on the Avast system tray
icon and find out that your fully protected.

<snip>

That's the problem, you don't really know as avast will keep saying that your protected until such time as it considers the VPS out of date and that may be some days before you get the ! over the tray icon.

Change for changes sake isn't necessarily good - as has been mentioned when the CTO isn't sure if it was a good thing or not (speaks volumes).
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #52 on: November 14, 2014, 05:05:27 PM »
Although I miss the VPS update popup, I can live without it.  What I really dislike is that hovering over the Avast tooltray icon now give the inane "You are protected" instead of the more informative program and VPS version.  As a workaround, I've put a shortcut on my desktop to "C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\defs" that is relatively easy to check.
AMD A6-5350M APU with Radeon HD Graphics, 8.0GB RAM, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE11
i7-3610QM 2.3GHZ, 8.0GB Ram,  Nvidia GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE 11
Common to both: Avast Premium Security 19.7.2388, WinPatrol Plus, SpywareBlaster 5.5, Opera 12.18, Firefox 68.0.2, MBam Free, CCleaner

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #53 on: November 14, 2014, 05:37:45 PM »
What you say makes perfect sense Bob, especially for users of the free version... but if Avast is serious about retaining paying customers, it's worth considering that for the most part, people don't decide to part company with their cash for reasons that make sense.  ;)

Example: When GM bought SAAB, they knew that some people will keep buying SAABs because of their particular quirks, like having the ignition key on the floor, so even though having it there no longer served it's original purpose, they didn't move it.

So many people have told me how they miss the voice/popup announcement. Yes, it no longer serves its original purpose but for them it's a nerdy talking point - their computer suddenly announces the update out loud. They see it as part of the Avast "brand".
They may choose to renew or not renew their AIS licenses for any number of reasons. I for one, am not in favour of unnecessarily giving them another reason not to.

Yes agreed, change can be hard to accept, but like the car example (or anything that changes), if one is not in agreement with the change then they move to where they are in agreement.
That's the point!!
I read that over 90% of the Antivirus Market consists of Avast Free; with a meager 4.2% of Paid Premier.
https://www.opswat.com/about/media/reports/antivirus-october-2014
I would wager the obvious, the folks paying for what they want will be much more likely to leave when they aren't getting what they want or paid for in the first place.
Yes I agree, change for some is hard however I feel it's important to not change a paid user's Loyalty over something that Frankly could be turned off for those who preferred. :)

Edit: additional
« Last Edit: November 14, 2014, 05:41:27 PM by schmidthouse »

Offline merckxist

« Reply #54 on: November 15, 2014, 01:13:51 AM »
Yes Bob. Some people don't like change, others do, and others get used it. May be Avast doesn't need the twice VPS alert, but people do. It was the Avast trade mark for many users and they want it back. Me too BTW ;)

+1

Yes bob3160, the Amish among us are happy the horse and buggy are still available and many more are happy to have a radio available to give us an option to television. The point being that we have a choice. In this case, the choice was made for us, like it or not. What's most peculiar is that the UI still has the mechanism in place to allow the choice to be made even though one post seemed to indicate that was an oversight and (by implication) the underlying code just ignores whatever settings are chosen there. How difficult would it be to bring forward the code from v2014 that made the choices effective? Harder than getting NG to work?

If there is a perceived user preference that the pop-ups are a distraction, set them off by default. Sure, it would be an annoyance to have to go turn them back on again after an update, but at least it would be possible. The way it is now, I'm more annoyed that I can't get any of them at all! Even that annoyance could be eliminated with a "preserve pop-up choices" check box addition to the list of pop-up options. All the clients that don't miss the pop-ups would never see them again and not have to make the effort to eliminate them and those who like to chose them could keep getting them.

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Super(massive black hole) Poster
« Reply #55 on: November 15, 2014, 12:10:37 PM »
Let's not pick on Bob - just because he's not Amish  ;D

It's similar to when the email sig was dropped from v.7. Unnecessary and easily faked it might have been...  but now it's back again.
"This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software."

On the subject of consumer choice, I think Joe Pine puts it (and many other things) well when he says
"consumers don't want choice, they just want exactly what they want".
There is a way that seems right to a man,
       but in the end it leads to death
.” - Proverbs 16:25

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #56 on: November 15, 2014, 01:01:47 PM »
Let's not pick on Bob - just because he's not Amish  ;D

It's similar to when the email sig was dropped from v.7. Unnecessary and easily faked it might have been...  but now it's back again.
"This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software."

On the subject of consumer choice, I think Joe Pine puts it (and many other things) well when he says
"consumers don't want choice, they just want exactly what they want".
You don't need to be Amish to like horses. It's the manure I don't like and since I don't have a farm also don't need. :)
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline Ramon Sala

« Reply #57 on: December 03, 2014, 07:20:56 PM »
I feel sorry to hear that Avast will no longer inform about virus definitons updates. I am not going to use Avast 2015 nor I am going to renew my license. I like (and I want) to be notified about updating virus definitions like all antivirus do. On the other hand, Avast 2015 seems to be slower than previous versions since Windows takes more time to close (not much more, but significantly more) than it took with Avast 2014.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #58 on: December 03, 2014, 07:25:14 PM »
I feel sorry to hear that Avast will no longer inform about virus definitons updates. I am not going to use Avast 2015 nor I am going to renew my license. I like (and I want) to be notified about updating virus definitions like all antivirus do. On the other hand, Avast 2015 seems to be slower than previous versions since Windows takes more time to close (not much more, but significantly more) than it took with Avast 2014.
Well avast updates every 3 to 5 minutes so do you want to be notified that often about updates.

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #59 on: December 04, 2014, 12:45:56 AM »
No one is asking for notification of each streaming update.  That would be absurd.

All they are asking for is notification of VPS updates as in earlier versions, which occur 2 or 3 times per day.
AMD A6-5350M APU with Radeon HD Graphics, 8.0GB RAM, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE11
i7-3610QM 2.3GHZ, 8.0GB Ram,  Nvidia GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE 11
Common to both: Avast Premium Security 19.7.2388, WinPatrol Plus, SpywareBlaster 5.5, Opera 12.18, Firefox 68.0.2, MBam Free, CCleaner