Author Topic: AVAST 2015 AUTO UPDATE DID NOT WORK -- CS NO HELP ; FIXED IT MYSELF  (Read 3195 times)

REDACTED

10/28/2014 I called Avast CS.  Their tech was no help fixing the fact that my paid for GrimeFighter and VPN were no where to be found, and I could not use them.  CS immediately pushed the $179 tech support fix.  I declined and he continued to harangue me about imminent destruction of my whole computer.

Avast 2015 just came out of beta.  CS's need to be familiar with ways to make it work as it is paid for.  I went ahead and uninstalled, and then reinstalled. Typed in my license info/account info and Grimefighter and VPN were there, and the software works well.

It was about an hours worth of my time (mostly waiting), and very simple to do.  CS could have walked me through it.  I really think they are told to UPSELL the tech services.  Beware of fixes that are costly, rather than assists that tell you how to use the software.  I will not be ugly and say some lying went on, on the part of the CS, but I was a computer system person by vocation.

If you have any trouble and they suggest the $179 1 year tech support, or the $119 one time fix, beware.  You may simply need to uninstall, and reinstall.  Not sure the problem was not generated by the automatic install update (which surprised me to find).  Best of luck to you.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: AVAST 2015 AUTO UPDATE DID NOT WORK -- CS NO HELP ; FIXED IT MYSELF
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2014, 04:24:22 PM »
That is a 3rd party support service, not avast - and if the problem isn't covered by the free support then they try to sell a support package.

Some are hard sell and I would always recommend the forum as a first port of call - where help is always free.

- Report this behaviour to:
Third-party Support Manager, Vojta (nekvapil (at) avast (dot) com) has requested info about 3rd party support issues, so if you have time to recount your experience (copy and paste your post give the link to this topic, etc.).
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: AVAST 2015 AUTO UPDATE DID NOT WORK -- CS NO HELP ; FIXED IT MYSELF
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2014, 04:53:24 PM »
I think you posted in the wrong forum.
This forum is for Server products, not home products.