Author Topic: Providers list too big? I have an idea :)  (Read 28505 times)

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
Providers list too big? I have an idea :)
« on: August 22, 2005, 10:39:22 AM »
Anyone annoyed by the size of providers in the On-Access panel? You wan't to see them all but you have to scroll the list up or down? Here is something that would look nice as before,but could list around 7 providers at a time (compared to only 4 that can be shown now).

DEFAULT:

REDESIGNED:

What do you think? I was thinking for this to be as an extra setting (so you can switch between large and this minimalistic providers field). But i'd be happy with minimalistic only too. Unless there is any other design problem (maybe longer words in other languages or something). Any chance we could see this someday in avast! ?

I'd post this into Wishlist section,but it's so full and i want to hear some more opinion from other users and from Alwil if this is possible :)
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

darth.mikey

Re: Providers list too big? I have an idea :)
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2005, 11:16:47 AM »
I think it's a great idea  ;D

crofty59

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2005, 11:42:12 AM »
I also think it is a great idea

Cheers

DukeNukem

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2005, 12:57:55 PM »
That is a nice idea  :)

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2005, 01:29:07 PM »
Much better and 98% optimized usage of the unbelievable non-used space in original version. Much better !

I just started to use a BitDefender Freeware (no resident shield, just on demand scanner) as my backup scanner. I was sooooo amazed by the clear, sharp lines, unbelievable easy to follow interface... hollidays for the sore eyes my friends...

I also suggest complete redesign of avast! on-demand scanner GUI (especially those "crunchy" icons..). It looks nice, but after you see BitDefender, avast! on-demand scanner reminds me on AVG's (unbelievable ugly btw) GUI.

Here is a screenie of BitDefender:

« Last Edit: August 22, 2005, 10:28:53 PM by Slaaaaap! Hihihihi »
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

Offline XMAS

• Avast translator
  • Super Poster
  • Santa is watching you ;)
    • avast! in Bulgarian
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2005, 01:54:33 PM »
I really like the new design 
It's much better than the old one  ;D ;D ;D
You've Got To Get Close To The Flame To See What It's Made Of...

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2005, 02:17:36 PM »
Well, I wouldn't really call it "old" and "new" design; there's only one design right now and I'm not sure if it's really a priority to change it ;)

Even though it looks nice on the screenshot, I can see one problem - in some of the language versions, the names of the providers are quite long, sometimes even longer than the current width of the column. Should the icon be displayed next to the text, it wouldn't fit at all (unless the whole window is significantly enlarged).

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2005, 02:36:24 PM »
Just a thought....

Could let the user choose if he wants to se the icon, text or both

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2005, 02:43:15 PM »
Igor is right and Eddy's suggestion would be wonderful... also it would give some additional space for longer words in other languages...

Anyway, maybe icons like these ? I just came up with this little example... Of course, I can easily make all other icons (other providers which are not visible on this screenshot)

« Last Edit: August 22, 2005, 02:44:55 PM by Slaaaaap! Hihihihi »
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2005, 02:46:06 PM »
RejZor, nice idea. Very good improvement on English language.
But, for others, maybe Igor has a good memory...

I can see one problem - in some of the language versions, the names of the providers are quite long, sometimes even longer than the current width of the column. Should the icon be displayed next to the text, it wouldn't fit at all (unless the whole window is significantly enlarged).
Igor, maybe just the font size could be reduced a little, or the icon size...  8)
The best things in life are free.

Offline XMAS

• Avast translator
  • Super Poster
  • Santa is watching you ;)
    • avast! in Bulgarian
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2005, 02:47:50 PM »
Just a thought....
Could let the user choose if he wants to se the icon, text or both
Well that could do the work. :)

These new icons which Sasha suggested  are very good  ;D ;D ;D

You've Got To Get Close To The Flame To See What It's Made Of...

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2005, 02:56:39 PM »
Or somethign like this... that would give you a plenty of room for long words...  ;)

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2005, 02:57:40 PM »
 :o Forget it. Leave it as it is and just add Sashas icons!!!!!! :o :D
Current Standard Shield icon is ugly (sorry Martin,but i really don't like it,especially weird font for "a" letter inside it).
These from Sasha really look incredible. Omg omg i wanna have them weeeeeee ;D
We just need one for P2P,IM and Internet Mail/MS Outlook :)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2005, 03:10:45 PM »
I think there is merit in being able to see all your installed providers, some posts on the forums have even said they can't see things, when in fact all they had to do was scroll down.

Sasha's new Icons look great (much prettier than BitDefender), but they are also larger than the existing ones, which would leave less room for text. Edit: seeing the movement of the avast branding on the left to an alternate location would give extra space.

Personally I don't find the BitDefender screen shot attractive, simple, clean lines, yes, attractive sorry No. But there is no accounting for my taste (poor or otherwise) ;D
« Last Edit: August 22, 2005, 03:14:53 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2005, 03:20:45 PM »
Those new icons could be resized a bit if requred. But they look miles ahead current ones. Ok,i like Network Shield and Web Shield ones because they look like they're made from glass,i also liked former Standard Shield,but not current one.
These from Sasha are simplistic,but on the other hand they give very professional look.