Author Topic: Is Avast! trying to be too clever?  (Read 1475 times)

REDACTED

Is Avast! trying to be too clever?
« on: October 31, 2014, 01:13:20 PM »
I have been using Avast! as my main virus product for many years, nad have owned a license for it for the last three or four years.  Recently it has been giving me unsettling results in what I consider peripheral areas:

1.  My Spam Email filter went through a phase of  classifying almost everything as Spam. I tried to turn the sensitivity down as low as possible, and told it not to move things into my Spam mailbox, but it continued.  I have been through a hugely involved process of unloading and reloading, and I remain to be convinced that it is now behaving itself.  I am watching it carefully.

2.  It keeps on telling me that I have an untrusted search engine loaded, but when I go to look to see what it is, nothing shows up.

3.  It is telling me that there is no firewall, and offers me the facility to turn its own one on.  The button on the warning screen does not work, and I have turned on the Firewall under settings, but the warning continues.

I an worried that Avast! are trying to do too much, and may be failing in some basic area that I do not know about. I just want them to guard me against viruses, and do that well.  I do not need most of the rest they are offering, and it may just be getting in the way of their core competency.

Is anyone else seeing this, and do you have the same worries?