Author Topic: Internet security being very lazy with permission requests  (Read 1560 times)

REDACTED

Internet security being very lazy with permission requests
« on: November 14, 2014, 08:26:40 AM »
Hello, this is a sequel to Internet security blocking a port.

Even by accepting the one-blocked-one-passed behavior (which is just annoying) I've managed to get my job done.

At this point, some additional introduction is needed. I'm an hobbyist software developer and I'm now working on some open source software. It is now time to release and I had to prepare the installer (NSIS for the time being). The installer uses netsh with admin privileges to set up a windows firewall exception.
I have verified the firewall exceptions are correctly installed and removed (in the windows firewall).

Problem is how avast reacts.

• If I install a win firewall exceptions (both send and listen ports) windows firewall will not complain. Avast does not complain either, except connection will not succeed.
  • If firewall exceptions are not installed then windows will ask for permissions. Avast will also ask for permissions, which is the right thing to do. If both permissions are given, connections will be successful.

Neither behavior is ideal but (1) is particularly broken: somehow avast decides to not complain because... the windows firewall is already set? This leaves the user no chance to know what's going wrong.

Because of various reasons, I've decided to go with (2), which at least makes some sense but... this is in both cases very invasive. It sounds like "if you are a not well known application you don't have the right to run properly".

Please reconsider your blocking policies.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Internet security being very lazy with permission requests
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2014, 05:55:59 PM »
There is no need to have 2 firewalls running.
I hope you have a test system there.
I suggest to try it with other firewalls as well in combination with the Windows firewall and see if there are with the same behavior.
The users of your software will not all use the Windows firewall and avast.