Author Topic: Win32:Malware-gen on my Mac  (Read 4841 times)

REDACTED

Win32:Malware-gen on my Mac
« on: October 31, 2014, 04:32:30 AM »
Forgive me if I sound like an idiot, but I never gotten any time of malware on my computer. I'm usually very careful what sites I go to, and I have the "Warn when visiting a fraudulent website" on Safari and on Chrome I have the phishing and malware protection enabled. So anyway, upon doing a full system scan today, it found 4 Win32:Malware-gen on my Mac, embedded deep within a Chrome folder (/Users/MisterRyan07/Library/Application Support/Google/Chrome/Default/File System/000/t/00/00000000).

Several questions:
Is this a Windows malware only that it cannot affect my Mac?
How come the shield didn't detect it or is that due to the fact that it's a Windows malware?
Do I need to do anything? Such as change passwords or whatever?
I have Bootcamp, but since it's found on the Mac side, will it affect the Windows partition? If so, do I need to change my passwords or whatever?

I know I didn't have the malware in my computer that long because the last scan I did was on October 23, 2014, but only scanned my Home Folder and it didn't find any infection. It's just very odd the shield didn't pick up on it.

Offline tumic

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
Re: Win32:Malware-gen on my Mac
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2014, 06:33:01 PM »
Generally, malware classified as "Win32:Malware-gen" should be harmless for Macs, but to be sure,
we would require the SHA256 hash of the file.

There may be several reasons why the webshield did not detect the file, but the most probable one is,
you do not have secured connections scanning enabled in the Webshield and it came throuhg
HTTPS.

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2014, 06:48:43 PM »
Ok. I'll go ahead and enable the secure connection scanning. But I scanned on both ends, Mac OS and Windows and now it's nowhere to be found so I guess I'm good to go but now there's one issue and it's not related to Win32:Malware-gen.

I've decided to scan my system on the Mac side once again but this time have the "scan whole files" enabled and a win32:Reveton-RH came up and this time it's on the windows partition and the infected file is the pagefile.sys file. Please tell me that's a false positive.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 06:50:54 PM by MisterRyan07 »

Offline tumic

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2014, 06:55:05 PM »
Again. to say anything about the file we would need at least the hash of the file, better the
file itself. Please consult this issue in the "viruses and worms" part of the forum.

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2014, 08:07:12 PM »
OK, I just did that and some guy with username Eddy is telling to post my issue on here and I told him it corresponds to both Mac and Windows. And he told me to post only the windows issue along with the log file attached. But the "viruses and worms" I thought is a general discussion pertaining to any OS. He's not even a moderator. Should I just ignore him?

Offline tumic

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2014, 09:45:07 PM »
I thought is a general discussion pertaining to any OS. He's not even a moderator. Should I just ignore him?

It is. Just ignore him please.

REDACTED

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2014, 09:49:54 PM »
Thank you!