Author Topic: Windows Security: malware & firewall, to use or not to use that is the question  (Read 2594 times)

REDACTED

Following a hijack by a ransome ware, which initially even blocked restart in Safe Mode with networking, an excellent Avast Techie was able to clear the bug and ensure my PC is clean.  It now seems to be running well. Just to add, even AVG and Kaspersky rescue CDs could not find the bug.

However, I now find that Windows Account Control Settings are OFF  i.e.  no Windows Firewall and no Windows Defender.
Is that correct?  Do I not need to have any Windows security running?

I have Avast (free) and Malwarebytes (paid) on my PC.

If not running Windows security would it be better to use one of the paid versions of Avast?  If 'yes' which version?
The reason why I only use Free Avast at the moment is that before Avast I was using Paid AVG but that became so over built and at times was a nuisance.

Thanks for looking.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
I have Avast (free) and Malwarebytes (paid) on my PC.
a good combo that many here use ..... if you use removable drives, USB stick, then would also add MCShield http://www.mcshield.net/

we have some expert malware removers here, i would attach a diagnostic log here to be sure you are clean

if you want to, see here   https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=53253.0
scroll down to Farbar Recovery Scan Tool .... run as instructed and attach the two logs

« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 07:10:41 PM by Pondus »

REDACTED

Thanks for your input.. do you have an opinion on this part of my post?

However, I now find that Windows Account Control Settings are OFF  i.e.  no Windows Firewall and no Windows Defender.
Is that correct?  Do I not need to have any Windows security running?

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
The UAC should be on. It will, however, depend on what you are using for a firewall and antivirus.
You can safely disable Windows Defender since it's useless anyway and you are using avast for
your protection. You should have an active firewall whether it's Windows or a third party firewall.
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

REDACTED

Thanks all, UAC now working OK... 

Avast Internet Security with Firewall running, Malwarebytes paid version running. 

Windows Defender and Firewall disabled. 

IE11 had problems with file downloads, totally not downloading... all searches produce no result.

Firefox up and running .. all seems good.

My BT HomeHub itself alos provides a firewall.

Now to wait for the manure to arrive!

REDACTED

You may want to add the CryptoPrevent FREE.
I use Avast FREE & MBAM Pro with CP.
CP is not an active item.....it just adjusts some items (policies) on PC to block cryptolocking type attacks....one time run.
Avast & MBAM can ID the item but damage is done by then since your files are locked/encrypted.
https://www.foolishit.com/vb6-projects/cryptoprevent/