Author Topic: Outlook/Exchange Provider Causes OL2k3 Crash EVERY TIME In Less Than 10 Minutes!  (Read 8282 times)

earthling0001

This seems to be being ignored now by Avast support, yet the problem is still happening.  I have the latest version of MSN Toolbar, have disabled the Outlook on-access protection, and still Outlook crashes.

Please can someone at Avast update this thread, or I'm off to install AVG instead.

azarc

I felt the same way before... but then I paid REAL close attention to the resources that MSN Toolbar/Desktop requires. It is a HOG. I've got 1GB of RAM on this machine and it will take anywhere from 80 - 250 MB depending on what it is doing IN THE BACKGROUND. Indexing just brings my machine to a halt. I really did like the way that it offers profiles for any authorized user to use, and the fact that it was integrated SO tightly with the OS, but when it came down to it MSN just had to go.

I hate to say it because I really wanted the whole MS suite, but try Google Desktop (v1! I haven't tried v2) instead. It WILL take while to build the index (it's best if you install it during the day and then go to work or at night and then go to bed). With the plugins that are now available you can index just about as many filetypes as with MSN's product.

The instant I dumped MSN Desktop Search I reinstalled avast!...
And Google Desktop Search hasn't caused my computer to crash yet...

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
We have been constantly bugging Microsoft to fix their bogus code. It's now evident that it's a bug in MSN Desktop Search, not Avast.

We haven't gotten any serious attention from their part though. What else can we do? :-\ :(

A feasible workaround is to disable the avast "Outlook/Exchange" provider (or even uninstall it) and leave the mail to be scanned by the generic "Internet Mail" provider instead, at the transport level.

Thanks
Vlk
« Last Edit: August 23, 2005, 03:50:41 PM by Vlk »
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Just to note. Not a problem with MSN Desktop Search and avast on Window XP.  :)
The best things in life are free.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
There is, but only if using Outlook.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
There is, but only if using Outlook.
What am I? Lucky? I use OE, MSN Desktop Search and avast! plugin on Window XP...
Not a trouble  8)

azarc

I think it's the "Express" part that keeps you safe. It may only affect us using the full Outlook application.

Bummer.  >:(

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
I think it's the "Express" part that keeps you safe. It may only affect us using the full Outlook application.

Bummer.  >:(
Sorry, I wrote wrong... I use MS Outlook full too (besides the Outlook Express).