Author Topic: VRDB Question?  (Read 13450 times)

Captn

VRDB Question?
« on: March 18, 2003, 01:46:51 AM »
I was wondering when my VRDB is suppose to start, I have it set to Generate when Computer is idle? Is it suppose to start after a certain time of inactivity?  Im running Windows XP Pro.   I love your Software, very good stuff  ;)

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Re:VRDB Question?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2003, 09:21:16 AM »
Is it suppose to start after a certain time of inactivity?

Yes. 20 seconds of idle time should be enough (slightly more after reboot - i.e. before the first inactivity).

It's simple to see if it's working - the VRDB icon should be spinning down there in the notification area of the taskbar...

Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Captn

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2003, 10:47:54 PM »
Mine did work after first install, now it doesnt seem to be working even after 5 minutes of inactivity?  Is there a setting somewhere I might be able to change?  Or is 20 sec a default setting? Im running Windows XP Pro.

Athlon XP 2800+
768mb of pc2700
GeForce4 Ti4600
Windows XP Pro

:)

Captn

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2003, 10:57:22 PM »
I did have Nortons installed, Would this make a difference?   ???

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2003, 09:26:56 AM »
Mine did work after first install, now it doesnt seem to be working even after 5 minutes of inactivity?

Well, isn't the VRDB already generated then? After it is generated, it takes 3 weeks off ;)

I did have Nortons installed, Would this make a difference?

No, I don't think so, provided they're already gone. :)

BTW nice piece of hardware  :P

Vlk

Captn

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2003, 07:27:32 AM »
Oh ok, I was under the impression that it did it everytime your PC was idle. Is there a way to shorten up that 3 week period? I like Maximum protection  ;D

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2003, 09:52:00 AM »
You can edit the period in avast.ini - [VRDB] section, RunInterval value (if it's not present, just add "RunInterval=your_value" to the [VRBD] section). The value is in minutes, i.e. if you want one week, write RunInterval=10080.

As for the maximum protection - it's not clear whether shortening the interval as much as possible gives you more protection. What is necessary is to have uninfected files in the database, i.e. the state of the files before the infection has happened. If you refresh the database too often, some infected files might make it to the database before you notice you were infected (e.g. before the VPS gets updated).
Since VRDB holds multiple versions of the files, the risk is not big (except for the files that are often updated, but it is usually not the case with executables)... but in my opinion, running VRDB generation every hour is not a good idea either  :)

Captn

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2003, 10:02:18 AM »
Very true TY for the info igor   ;)

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2003, 10:51:01 AM »
Just a slight amendment - the INI file is not called avast.ini, but avast4.ini (just in case you'd be searching it on your disk).

You may also refer to a similar thread http://www.avast.com/forum/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=127;start=0

Vlk

Captn

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2003, 10:04:55 PM »
Thank You Vlk     ;)