Author Topic: Windows 7 Backup Fails  (Read 10729 times)

REDACTED

Windows 7 Backup Fails
« on: November 04, 2014, 12:26:10 AM »
Just installed Avast 2015 free edition, now my windows 7 X64 on AMD which has worked flawlessly for years fails with the following error:

Windows Backup failed to get an exclusive lock on the EFI system partition (ESP). This may happen if another application is using files on the ESP. Please retry the operation."

Error code 0x8078011E

Note that prior to installing Avast 2015 I was using Avast Free 2014 with no backup issues. I was considering purchasing Avast 2015. now I am not so sure.
Suggestion from MS:
The issue may occur if EFI system partition is locked or other application is using files on the system partition.

I suspect the third party security software protects the system files and causes this issue. Therefore, please disable security software temporarily and perform clean boot.

REDACTED

Re: Windows 7 Backup Fails
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2014, 12:51:10 AM »
Only a guess but try to uninstall NG and see if it works then ?...other experts here may have better suggestion.
Here is post (#7) on non-related thread on how-to.
https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=157668.msg1140325#msg1140325

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2014, 12:54:57 AM »
I just had a windows backup fail too... for a different reason however.  Said it couldn't find the file... never saw that one before and been using it a long time

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2014, 02:10:20 AM »
I cannot help you much more perhaps some expert will chime in.

However, you did not ask but for what it is worth I've been in IT side for along time and never had a lot of luck with MS backup.
Even when their software "worked" I worried about if/how-well it would restore.
Kind of like A/V.......MS has their own.....just not good at it.
So, for what it is worth the FREE version of Macrium Reflect is terrific !
http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx
I've used it for years to image off to USB HDD my PCs....and with HDD failures over the years had to restore to new HDD.
The recover CD environment is terrific and flexible.....example....different HDD size to original image/HDD.
You can mount your images and see/pull/copy files from Windows Explorer....and FREE version has scheduler too.
Anyway, I'm sorry to hear about your Windows Backup problem and wish I could help more and please don't be offended from my inputs above....there is just a lot of software out there and sometimes it is nice to hear about a good one.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 02:12:14 AM by thekochs »

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2014, 05:24:04 AM »
Windows 8.1 VSS-integrated (and thus incremental) nightly system image backups (started via a wbadmin command from Task Scheduler) have been smoothly completing here since installing Avast 2015. 

Regarding things I do with Avast that may help avoid the problems being reported in this particular case...  I don't have "Hardened Mode" enabled, do not use NG, and have disabled most other "Tools" (from the center column of the installer) as well.  Basically, the three Avast shields are on and that's it.

I have verified that my backups can be restored to bare metal, as well as the files from within the system images being available to software (e.g., Z-VSScopy) that can read from volume shadow copies.

I've never had a lick of trouble with Windows Backup.  I've recovered from a crashed system drive, I moved from an old workstation to new one in just a few hours by restoring a backup, and in another case moved from HDD storage to SSD storage by restoring a backup.

-Noel

REDACTED

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2014, 01:54:13 AM »
Removing / disabling NG fixed Windows 7 backup failure, however it broke VBox!! another thread, sigh....

Offline KevTech

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2014, 02:02:01 AM »
I posted in another thread that when NG is installed Windows detects it as system image backups and throws up a warning.

Using system protection on a drive that contains system image backups will cause other shadow copies to be deleted faster than normal

After I removed NG the warning goes away.

REDACTED

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2014, 05:29:42 PM »
Like many others here, I make my living with my computer, therefore I have neither the time or the inclination to perform bug testing for AV software. Avast 2015 first broke Windows backup, then broke VBOX. I use VBOX to do software testing and development on a number of platforms, both windows and Linux. While I appreciate the fact that Avast provides a free AV version, considering that the only difference I am aware of between free and paid is the insertion of a license key. If I had paid for Avast 2015 only to find it had broken key components of my system I would not have been happy!
I have removed Avast 2015 from my computer and now all is well, unfortunately I am stuck with MS Security Essentials as investigation into other AV products reveals a myriad of problems and complaints.
I don't agree with Avast and other software companies doing their testing on the general public, much like auto manufacturers did in the past and continue to do today.

REDACTED

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2015, 12:09:03 PM »
I'm having the same, and indeed removing the NG component fixed my problem. BUT WHY?! Avast are you going to fix this any time soon? Please stop beta testing your product on us.

REDACTED

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2015, 11:38:38 PM »
novembre 04, 2014

Windows Backup failed to get an exclusive lock on the EFI system partition (ESP). This may happen if another application is using files on the ESP. Please retry the operation."

Error code 0x8078011E

Aout 2015 ! J'ai eu le même le même problème, la désinstallation d'Avast a résolu le problème.

Toujours pas de solution de la part d'Avast ???

BUT WHY?! Avast are you going to fix this any time soon?

REDACTED

« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2016, 04:47:20 PM »
Same issue still occurring in December 2016 -- solved only by completely uninstalling Avast.  Is there a better solution?