Author Topic: How can I scan a suspected false positive which I moved to the Virus Chest?  (Read 3218 times)

REDACTED

Having found a positive a couple of weeks ago, I immediately moved it to the virus chest and despatched from there to AVAST for identification. As the file is the uninstaller for Picassa, and had been present for several months on the machine without arousing any suspicion, I was not surprised that there was no response to the submission (the default response to no threat).
However I wish to scan it using the standard virustotal etc. systems, so that I am fully comfortable with it before getting it out of the chest.
Is it possible to submit it direct from the chest, or do I have to extract it and then submit immediately.

ken

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
You have to restore it to be able to upload to virustotal

If you right click file in chest and rescan.....still detected?

Using virus chest   
http://www.avast.com/en-gb/faq.php?article=AVKB21#artTitle
http://www.avast.com/en-gb/faq.php?article=AVKB149#artTitle
« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 08:17:59 PM by Pondus »

REDACTED

Thank you I'll do that

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
You might want to dump SpyBot S&D. It's pretty much useless and has been for years.
Low detection rate, doesn't immunize a thing and can't fully remove what it does find.
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2412372,00.asp
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

REDACTED

You have to restore it to be able to upload to virustotal

If you right click file in chest and rescan.....still detected?

Strangely, when I right click in the Virus Chest, the scan option does not seem to appear. Been a bit mystified by that for some time

ken

REDACTED

You might want to dump SpyBot S&D. It's pretty much useless and has been for years.
Low detection rate, doesn't immunize a thing and can't fully remove what it does find.

All I can say is that there are rarely items found by the other spyware detectors (all that I use it for), which I use as overchecks; and when I have found something the S&D Forum helpers are always helpful and tolerant of a soft old man like me.

ken

REDACTED

To return to the original query, I have now extracted the file to a 3.5" floppy (yes I do have one fitted to my m/c) scanned it twice with AVAST and come up with 'No Threat'; so my assumption is that it was a FP.

I am still puzzled why I could not scan in the Virus Chest, as the option did not appear on the drop-down inside the VC.
Is that action unavailable on AVAST free, or can someone offer another explanation?

Thanks in advance

ken