Author Topic: The Nefarious PUPs Found By MBAM (RESOLVED)  (Read 2736 times)

Offline Chim

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
The Nefarious PUPs Found By MBAM (RESOLVED)
« on: November 04, 2014, 02:30:23 AM »
As some of you all may remember, I mentioned recently how on 2 occasions, quarantining all the PUPs found by MBAM on my brother-in-law's computer would cause a loss of Internet access.  Restoring all the quarantined PUPs would restore Internet access.

I finally have a log of all the PUPs found by MBAM on that computer.  Actually, today it was way more than before.  The 1st time around days back, it was something like 39 PUPs.  Then on the 2nd time around it actually went down to like 29 PUPs.  Today MBAM found 78 PUPs.

I have attached a Notepad file of all the PUPs that were found today in my brother-in-law's computer.  I have edited out the User's last name wherever I saw it.

See if Essexboy ... or whichever other experts on this type of stuff can determine which ONE PUP or more than one PUP if that is the case, could possibly be causing a loss of Internet access when it is quarantined by MBAM 2.0.3.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 10:33:46 PM by Chim »
Dell Optiplex 780 / Core 2 Duo E8400 3.00 GHz / 4 Gig RAM / Windows XP Pro 32-Bit SP3 / Panda Dome  Free 18.07.00 / MBAM / SAS / NetZero Dial Up / Maxthon MX5 5.2.5.4000

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
Re: The Nefarious PUPs Found By MBAM
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2014, 07:44:13 PM »
Do you get the same problem if you allow AdwCleaner to remove them ?

Offline Chim

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2014, 08:26:19 PM »
I haven't tried AdwCleaner yet.  It had crossed my mind, but I couldn't remember whether AdwCleaner had a Restore function so as to restore the removed PUPs if need be if it too caused loss of Internet access.  I checked just now and the only buttons I am seeing are for: Scan ... Clean ... Report ... Uninstall.  I tried checking in the Quarantine Manager, but I couldn't get in since the quarantine area is empty here on my computer.  DOES AdwCleaner have some sort of Restore function somewhere that I'm not seeing?  I'd sure hate to attempt this experiment if AdwCleaner doesn't have a Restore function to subsequently restore the removed PUPs and Internet access if indeed it does have similar results to MBAM.

Would a System Restore restore all the removed PUPs if AdwCleaner removed them and Internet access was lost?

So ... you didn't really see any particular PUP that would cause loss of Internet access if quarantined?  The only remote possibilities that I saw were those "SearchExtension" ones.
Dell Optiplex 780 / Core 2 Duo E8400 3.00 GHz / 4 Gig RAM / Windows XP Pro 32-Bit SP3 / Panda Dome  Free 18.07.00 / MBAM / SAS / NetZero Dial Up / Maxthon MX5 5.2.5.4000

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2014, 08:33:50 PM »
Nothing appeared to be related to the network, a system restore would work. 

Or you could run the following commands from an elevated command prompt after MBAM has removed them

netsh advfirewall reset
netsh advfirewall set allprofiles state ON
ipconfig /flushdns
netsh winsock reset catalog
netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew

Offline Chim

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2014, 10:32:37 PM »
I saved those commands in a Notepad file just in case I do wind up needing them.

Thanks, Essexboy.

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
Re: The Nefarious PUPs Found By MBAM (RESOLVED)
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2014, 10:44:33 PM »
You could save it as a batch file, a bit easier to run :)

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2014, 10:58:15 PM »
   It had crossed my mind, but I couldn't remember whether AdwCleaner had a Restore function so as to restore the removed PUPs if need be if it too caused loss of Internet access.  I checked just now and the only buttons I am seeing are for: Scan ... Clean ... Report ... Uninstall.   
Top left ..... Tools

Offline Chim

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2014, 02:09:55 AM »
All I saw earlier in Tools was Quarantine Manager.  And I couldn't see what's available in Quarantine Manager since I don't have anything in quarantine.

Are you saying that for SURE some sort of Restore button WILL be available there in the Quarantine Manager once one has something in quarantine?