Author Topic: Avast 2015 freezing my PC while using web browser..!!  (Read 66556 times)

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Avast 2015 freezing my PC while using web browser..!!
« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2014, 04:36:34 PM »
Hye,

I confirm your conclusion. I have the same problem between Avast 2015 and K9 Web Protection.

There is an uncompatibility until freezing W8.1

Excluding K9 also won't help; no words from avast...disappointing  :-\

I'm not surprised, when the two functions, K9 and the Web Shield are essentially doing the same thing (working with proxies/redirection) there is going to some sort of conflict. Can one or other of these programs possibly change the way they work and achieve the same level of protection, I rather doubt that.

Have you had any response from K9 (other than possibly blaming avast) ?

In a way this is similar to the advice of not installing/using two resident antivirus applications

Ask me which I would choose K9 or the Web Shield and it is no contest the Web Shield, it offers greater protection.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

REDACTED

« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2014, 04:58:55 PM »
Hye,

I confirm your conclusion. I have the same problem between Avast 2015 and K9 Web Protection.

There is an uncompatibility until freezing W8.1

Excluding K9 also won't help; no words from avast...disappointing  :-\

I'm not surprised, when the two functions, K9 and the Web Shield are essentially doing the same thing (working with proxies/redirection) there is going to some sort of conflict. Can one or other of these programs possibly change the way they work and achieve the same level of protection, I rather doubt that.

Have you had any response from K9 (other than possibly blaming avast) ?

In a way this is similar to the advice of not installing/using two resident antivirus applications

Ask me which I would choose K9 or the Web Shield and it is no contest the Web Shield, it offers greater protection.

Which version of avast! provides a parental control feature as K9..?(I don't know). Avast! 2014 didn't  conflict with K9. There is no K9 update recently..problem started only after avast! update , so I think avast! must respond to it (I'm not blaming)

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2014, 06:11:01 PM »
It is more the way they work as I believe K9 also uses a proxy of sorts.

The web shield also uses proxy/redirection, but as you know its primary function is malware protection - this is what I consider a greater threat.

There are other options to K9 - You can use a DNS server option such as https://www.opendns.com/ this you can use the dashboard function to set up for use as parental control - limiting the types of site that can be viewed.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

REDACTED

« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2014, 11:01:39 PM »
I am having the same problems on my Windows 7 x64 machine. It is clear they started when I upgraded the Avast program to 2015.10.0.2208 and continue, even though I have tried all the fixes mentioned in this thread (And other threads having to do with flushing stacks or caches or whatnot.)

The only thing I can add is it seems like it might be affecting the router as mentioned by another as other machines in my house can have an intermittent problem. Not like on this machine which happens anywhere from 10 to 30 minutes after a reboot--no matter if I use a browser/email or not. Also, it seems related to DNS as I can ping Google (8.8.8.8) from a command screen even though I cannot resolve an address in Thunderbird or in Chrome or Firefox.

REDACTED

« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2014, 01:19:12 AM »
Uninstalled Avast and installed Bitdefender and it all works now. The problem is, without a doubt, with Avast.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2014, 04:27:45 PM »
Unless you were also using K9 as the original poster, then you haven't got the same problem.

It is unfortunate that you weren't prepared to stick with it and try further options to try and resolve your problem. Your system, your choice.

REDACTED

« Reply #36 on: November 25, 2014, 06:22:36 PM »
thanks so much. at least now i finally found my problem. windows 7 64 + k9 + avast 2015. just installed my avast, installing bit defender instead.

Offline Chuck58

« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2014, 08:14:53 PM »
Same problem here as mentioned. Running Win Vista 32 all updates current, Dell Inspiron 1525 laptop, 4G RAM and dual core Intel 1.87 GHz processor, no hardware virtualization available.

I purchased AVAST 2015, latest version a couple of days ago and Chrome, Firefox and MSIE 9 all freeze. Chrome seems to run the longest but after a minute or two will freeze. Firefox is hopeless in the AVAST sandbox. I can't even start browsing before it locks tight. Additionally closing the browser and attempting to re-open doesn't work. I've got to reboot to be able to use a browser. Tried the fixes mentioned in the posts above without any luck.

Home, vehicle, and person protected by Smith and Wesson.

REDACTED

« Reply #38 on: November 27, 2014, 04:46:31 AM »
I also confirm the K9 issue. I was facing 4 computers freezing when using Firefox after update to Avast 2015.
Exclude K9 in Avast didn't help.
Removed K9   :'( , problems gone.  :D
I hope they will fix this issue since I really need K9.
Thanks for the help.

REDACTED

« Reply #39 on: November 29, 2014, 01:18:39 PM »
same problem, this i very ANNOYING !! =( I installed avira instead...

Offline Zdenek

• Avast team
« Reply #40 on: December 05, 2014, 02:57:57 PM »
Hallo.

We have discovered the issue and fix will be included in next SP or release of the AVAST.

Thank you for patience

REDACTED

« Reply #41 on: December 05, 2014, 03:39:11 PM »
Hallo.

We have discovered the issue and fix will be included in next SP or release of the AVAST.

Thank you for patience

Oh..Zdenek...really..really glad to here these words from avast! after a long period of waiting.....thanks..thanks a lot... :-*

REDACTED

« Reply #42 on: December 05, 2014, 04:43:39 PM »
I have a serious problem from the day I installed avast 2015. My PC freezes while using any web browser( FF, Chrome, Opera &  IE, sometimes on starting a browser, sometimes during browsing). I need to press the restart button  to escape from this lock up during browsing. Anybody else  experience this problem?. I saw topics on issues of FF 33, but I  think mine is not a problem specific to any browser. I tried enabling & disabling of settings in web shield, re installation and whatever I can do to solve this problem , but unfortunately nothing helped me to solve it. I hope anyone from avast team will come to help me...  :(

Updated to v2015.10.0.2208... Disabling the WEB SHIELD now solved my problem.. >:( !! . What the hell this update means... :-\

Just updated to v2015.10.0.2208 (free) and got the same problem with accessing sites (very long access times).  When I disabled the web shield everything works fine.  The previous version, no problems.  I am also running online armor firewall which also has a web shield.  Turning either web shield off resolves the problem. So my novice conclusion is that the two web shields are conflicting in this newest Avast version.

af27ca

P.S. I am still running on XP sp3
« Last Edit: December 05, 2014, 04:49:19 PM by af27ca »

REDACTED

« Reply #43 on: December 14, 2014, 10:29:03 AM »
Hallo.

Thank you for patience

When can we expect this new/fix release?  Laptop freezing several times a day, this is not acceptable for any commercial product.

Offline AndreaVr

• Blog Ufficiale Andrea Lonardi ~ Non si vive di sola tecnologia !!
« Reply #44 on: December 14, 2014, 02:27:54 PM »
I confirm that very often during the day Avast service occupies 100% of the CPU and when you turn protection Web everything returns to normal

from what I'm trying it seems that this anomaly is present only when you open the page of facebook, now I tried to exclude it from the controls and antivirus and PC work well
« Last Edit: December 14, 2014, 04:25:48 PM by AndreaVr »