Author Topic: I don't want my Firefox scanned!  (Read 4579 times)

Ashley16

I don't want my Firefox scanned!
« on: August 25, 2005, 12:28:26 AM »
hi guys!

i was wondering if anyone can tell me how to stop avast from pre-scanning my firefox browser every single time I start it... it takes a couple of seconds to scan and i don't want it scanned at all.

i use winxp and avast free edition.

thanks!

ashley  :)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: I don't want my Firefox scanned!
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2005, 01:23:25 AM »
Firefox is a slow starter at the best of times 10-15 seconds is not unusual (even without avast!). avast doesn't slow it that much I have got mine down to about 7-8 seconds by compressing the firefox.exe file and keeping extensions to a minimum and I still have 21. The more extensions and .js (user customisations in profile) files you have the more to scan.

So effectively you would have to exclude each of the extensions, .js and the firefox.exe files, very long winded the only other option would be to exclude the firefox folder and your profile folder and that would I believe leave you vulnerable for the sake of a couple of seconds.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Ashley16

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2005, 01:39:20 AM »
thanks for the reply!

my firefox after a brand new installation of winxp takes exactly 3 seconds to load without avast.  It is really almost instant.

so i guess it is not very wise to exclude a browser? is that the case? if i download something with my firefox it probably won't get scanned?

i wish i knew more about software.. all i want is the fastest loading time for everything and don't have to wait for anything to load!

i guess i'm just being too silly..  ;D

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2005, 03:04:06 AM »
so i guess it is not very wise to exclude a browser? is that the case? if i download something with my firefox it probably won't get scanned?
Yeah, it's not wise but, if you need performance, you could add the full path of the firefox.exe file into the exceptions lists (not the whole folder).
In the Standard Shield provider settings you'll exclude the exe file from on-acess scanning.
If you add it to the WebShield exclusions (see section [WebShield] of avast4.ini file: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=1647), all HTTP (web) traffic will be excluded from scanning.

i wish i knew more about software.. all i want is the fastest loading time for everything and don't have to wait for anything to load!
Opening it and don't close, just minimize, this will be the faster way  8)
The best things in life are free.

Ashley16

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2005, 05:45:53 AM »
thanks so much for the info!

you are the avast god of gods!

:-*

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2005, 06:13:10 AM »
Hmmm....

it's not wise but if you want performance you might just as well uninstall avast!

What on earth is the point of advising folks how to stop avast! doing what it is designed to do?   

Ashley, my five year old system with avast! takes about three seconds to load Firefox (after the first load following a system restart).

Frankly, you either want the safety that avast! provides or you do not.  You have to decide whether a second or two is a worthwhile price to pay for security.  You can look for a faster product than avast! (they probably exist but not for free) or you can take the risk and rebuild your system from scratch every time you get compromised.

« Last Edit: August 25, 2005, 06:17:04 AM by alanrf »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2005, 02:18:06 PM »
thanks so much for the info!
You are welcome and a belated welcome to the forums.

You are probably getting the best compromise in performance Vs protection. There are many people who previously reported 10-15 second start-ups with firefox, so 3 seconds is excellent and if you have a slight hit because of scanning/protection, it is still much better than most are getting.

When I start my computer, I start my email program and my browser and a couple of other programs and they are on all day so an extra couple of seconds to load over the day is negligible, especially when you consider how long you wait for windows to start.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2005, 02:26:43 PM »
What on earth is the point of advising folks how to stop avast! doing what it is designed to do?
Alan, in fact I just answer the user's questions. I even say it's not a good idea.
But, after all, the user should have the final word and avast!, with it incredible configurability features, could be closer to user needs/desires.  8)
The best things in life are free.