Author Topic: Avast + GT Legends Demo = BSOD  (Read 9162 times)

molio

Avast + GT Legends Demo = BSOD
« on: August 18, 2005, 01:59:37 AM »
Hey all,

First of all thanks for supplying us with a free AV for home use! Been a great help to me so far & never had any real problems with it up untill now.

So the GT Legends demo (by simbin) was released recently and ofcourse as a race games enthousiast I was eager to try it, but upon starting it I was welcomed with a nice blue screen of death. So decided to check some forums & see what's up with that, and found some ppl with the same problem on http://forum.rscnet.org/forumdisplay.php?f=932 , after browsing trough the threads I saw a few other ppl were talking about antivirus soft & using avast, not really thinking it could the cause I uninstalled Avast home edition and voila, game runs perfectly no more blue screens of death.

So anyone have any ideas what could be happening here? :) or how to get around this problem.

If anyone wants to try you can download the demo @ http://www.3dgamers.com/games/gtlegends/downloads/

I'll post a link to this thread on RSC.net forums if that's ok, so that other ppl can come & help to find a solution ;)

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Avast + GT Legends Demo = BSOD
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2005, 02:47:54 AM »
Two options come to my mind.

1) You can add the game to the exclusions list
2) You can disable the 16bit scanning before starting to play

Both are explained in other threads on this board.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2005, 03:28:25 AM »
Did you use, at any time, Norton Antivirus in this system?
Am asking because of the Eddy's answer about 16bits applications...
The best things in life are free.

molio

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2005, 04:22:36 AM »
Eddy: I tried pausing avast without any luck (first thing I tried actually forgot to mention) so I guess that disables 16bit scanning & would rule out adding the game's folder to the exclusion list? Anyway I'll look them up on the forum & try it first thing in the morning, need some sleep first ;)

Tech: Nope gave up on norton years ago & this windows install is only a month old at max.

BTW the error msg I get on BSOD is = "multiple_irp_complete_requests" and then begins a memory dump.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2005, 04:53:58 AM »
Would rule out adding the game's folder to the exclusion list?
First, there are actually two exclusion lists: one in program settings, affecting the on-demand scanners, and another one in Standard Shield settings, affecting Standard Shield (i.e. on-access protection) only.
Second, it's necessary to put the complete mask to the exlucions, i.e. something like
c:\program files\perfect keylogger lite\*
or simply
*\bsdhooks.dll

BTW the error msg I get on BSOD is = "multiple_irp_complete_requests" and then begins a memory dump.
Google it and you'll find what is happening...
The best things in life are free.

FastGame

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2005, 06:13:29 AM »
From my search it seems to be a problem with the new Starforce CD protection. avast! isn't the only AV having problems, other AV's/firewalls are too.

Why does a Demo you can download have Starforce CD protection ????

Anyway Starforce is the same company that brings us Safe’n’Sec security software, maybe the AV companies should get on Starforce about this ? I bet their AV doesn't have a problem with this protection and they certainly shouldn't force other security companies into compatibility ;)

http://www.star-force.com/

http://www.star-force.com/computer_security/protection.phtml?c=210

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2005, 05:30:38 PM »
multiple_irp_complete_requests sounds pretty wild. :-)
Could you please send a minidump from the crash?
The most recent file from the \windows\minidumps folder.

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

molio

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2005, 10:23:18 PM »
Minidump sent!  ;)

Haven't had much time to troubleshoot this bsod myself, but I'm able to play if I terminate the avast scanner trough the control panel.

So far that's a reasonable way around this since I can restart it right after I stop playing :)

dk70

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2005, 10:26:16 PM »
Problems seems solved. Developer contacted Starforce and they made new SFUPDATE tool http://www.star-force.com/protection/users/ No more hardlocks with Avast and some other AVs after that.

molio

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2005, 10:41:52 PM »
Works great now indeed, thanks for the heads up :)