Author Topic: Is email scanning redundant?  (Read 3551 times)

MarcZ

Is email scanning redundant?
« on: August 23, 2005, 09:16:08 PM »
I've read a few posts stating that email scanning is unnecessary and redundant when running a resident scanner?  I've also read that sometimes they can mess up an inbox or messages.  Any truth or thoughts on that? 

On occasion, Thunderbird will pop up a message about Avasts scanner but there is not a warning or alarm from Avast, so  I can't confirm if there has been a virus or not.

I'll try to note the next time it hapens exactly what the message is.

Thanks for your thoughts,

Marc

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Is email scanning redundant?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2005, 10:31:16 PM »
I've read a few posts stating that email scanning is unnecessary and redundant when running a resident scanner?
Emails are a very common way of viruses spread. A dedicated provider is, for sure, safer than just the standard shield as the messages are analised by themselves and not only like 'a file in the disk'. Only at 'HIGH' sensitivity level of protection you could 'try' to work without the email provider.
Anyway, why do you want to do this?

I've also read that sometimes they can mess up an inbox or messages.  Any truth or thoughts on that?
Trying to delete an email message (in some email clients, e.g., Thunderbird) could let to entire inbox deletion.
I doubt it won't be the same if you try to 'caught' and delete the virus using the Standard Shield, more, I think it will, for sure, delete the entire mailbox.
Again, I don't see advantages on not using the email provider.
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2005, 11:16:37 PM »
Email still remains the most common method of virus infection.

Having a layered defence instead of just a single line of defence. The email scanner scans the email before it gets into your inbox, stopping it dead in its tracks, deleting infected email.
If it isn't on your HDD it can't be activated automatically as some email viruses do. Once on your HDD it is much harder to deal with and as Tech said an individual infected email can't be removed from many email programs so you can lose your email inbox file or worse your whole email pst file in say MS Outlook (not OE).

So no email scanning isn't redundant, not yet anyway.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2005, 11:54:54 PM »
Confirming the advice of Tech and DavidR I will add that, if you are a Thunderbird user,  the email scanner is absolutely essential

The best defense against any virus is to prevent it from reaching your hard drive at all. 

If you allow an infected message to be filed by Thunderbird into your inbox (or any other folder) it is left there in clear text.  It is not encrypted (hiding the virus) as in some other mail products. 

That means a later scan of your hard drive will simply find the file that is your inbox or other folder as infected and will remove the whole infected file.  So suddenly your inbox may not be there anymore.  Further, because of the way the folders are managed even if you delete the infected message before a scan the folder still remains infected until you compact it when Thunderbird really removes the deleted messages.   

Don't take the risk, especially if you use Thunderbird, use the email scanner.

MarcZ

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2005, 01:37:22 PM »
Thank you for all  of your answers.  I have left it on but was reading conflicting advice.  I have been using Avast Pro for a few years and will follow your advice.

I haven't been let down yet.  Keep up the good work.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2005, 02:09:25 PM »
Happy we could help.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security